FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting 1080i with DVCProHD and AVCIntra - how to mix clips on a timeline?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Niklas Wikman
Shooting 1080i with DVCProHD and AVCIntra - how to mix clips on a timeline?
on Jun 3, 2013 at 10:54:12 am

We shoot 1080i, with a Panasonic HPX500 (DVCProHD) and with a small Panasonic (I don't have the model). The smaller Panasonic records AVCIntra - ending up with .MTS-files on a SD card. After a few disappointing reads on the internet, I found out that I can actually use Log & Transfer in FCP7 to ingest the clips from the SD card. (I have no audio when scrubbing the clips in L&T, I guess this is how it is?)

If I bring a transferred clip to the timeline, FCP sets it to ProRes422, HDTV (16:9) and with upper field dominance.

If I remember correctly, DVCPRoHD uses lower field dominance.

This is a 2-camera shooting, so there'll be A/B-roll. THe main camera (also picking up audio) will be the HPX500.

How do I set up FCP and/or the logging, so that I get the best result from these two cameras?

Or should I use other software to convert the .mts files to DVCProHD, before importing the files in FCP7?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Shooting 1080i with DVCProHD and AVCIntra - how to mix clips on a timeline?
on Jun 3, 2013 at 1:49:41 pm

[Niklas Wikman] "The smaller Panasonic records AVCIntra - ending up with .MTS-files on a SD card."

AVCHD. AVCIntra is a P2 format...doesn't record on small SD cards.

[Niklas Wikman] "If I bring a transferred clip to the timeline, FCP sets it to ProRes422, HDTV (16:9) and with upper field dominance.

If I remember correctly, DVCPRoHD uses lower field dominance."

Nope. All HD formats have the same field dominance.

[Niklas Wikman] "How do I set up FCP and/or the logging, so that I get the best result from these two cameras?"

Set the AVCHD to ProRes. The HPX P2 footage will only come in as DVCPRO HD...can't change that. But edit both on a ProREs timeline and all will be good.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
Re: Shooting 1080i with DVCProHD and AVCIntra - how to mix clips on a timeline?
on Jun 3, 2013 at 5:29:12 pm

Shane, the guy who know just about everyting about editing... (both the techno stuff and the creative stuff... :-))

Sorry for confusing the formats - you are surely right about the smaller camera shooting AVCHD. I don't have the camera at hand and can check. But yes, it does record on SD card.

I'm glad to hear that both HD formats will have the same field order. (I understand that FCP has a function of auto-adding the Shift field filter, making the added clip getting the same field order as the timeline setting.)

I will set the timeline to ProRes422 by just let a clip from the SD card set the parameters (or would ProRes422 LT be good enough, given DVCProHD on the other side) and then just start editing.

Again Shane - thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]