FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 audio out of sync on first play of a clip, but not always!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Smith
FCP7 audio out of sync on first play of a clip, but not always!
on Jun 1, 2013 at 12:03:24 pm

I am having an unusual problem with FCP7 which I wonder if anyone else have experience of.

I have recently installed FCP7 (7.0.3) on my new imac (10.8.3).

When I play any clip or sequence in the canvas or viewer, the first time I play it, the audio seems to be about 1/4 of a second out of sync. If I pause it and start again, or return to the top of the clip it plays correctly.

As you can imagine, this makes precision editing very irritating as I have to remember to play, stop and play again any clip I am working with.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I don't experience it with FCP7 on my old MBP (10.6.8). They are installed from the same disks though the MBP is using 7.0.0.

Thanks kindly

SD

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP7 audio out of sync on first play of a clip, but not always!
on Jun 1, 2013 at 11:57:23 pm

Is the reinstall fully updated to 7.0.3?

Is the audio 48khz PCM 16 or 24 bit?

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Jun 2, 2013 at 11:49:21 am

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I am using 7.0.3

Audio is 48 KHz 16 bit.

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Jun 2, 2013 at 6:40:02 pm

to clarify, it is slightly out of sync any time I press play. If I press pause and play again it goes back into sync. This happens even with the official FCP7 training media/projects.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 3, 2013 at 12:07:06 am

Weird. All I can suggest is the usual maintenance of repair permissions (always a good ifea after an install) and trashing preferences (Digital Rebellion Prefs Manager is the best tool for that).

Only other question is was the OS a clean install before the FCP install or was it an update? FCP has been known to behave weirdly when updated over old versions or if OS is updated rather than a clean install.

Final thought. Are you using a third party device like Decklink, Kona or Matrox. If that is how you are monitoring then the driver software for those devices need to be correct for FCP and the OS.

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Jun 3, 2013 at 7:52:38 am

Yes it was a clean install on a brand new imac, and I have no additional connected devices at all.

I'll try permissions and preferences.

If I trash preferences will I lose anything important?

thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 3, 2013 at 10:40:34 pm

Trashing preferences is simple using Digital Rebellion's Prefs Manager. You won't lose anything except potential corruption that causes wonky performance.

Return to posts index

Scott Fields
on Jun 19, 2013 at 4:30:23 pm

Seems to be an issue on newer iMacs. Google around. It's out there.

fwiw I have the same problem and developed the annoying, but necessary, habit of pressing the space bar twice to get the video in sync.

Return to posts index

John E. Walker
on Jun 11, 2016 at 2:53:49 pm

This playback sync offset happens to me if I using a peripheral for sound. I forget that from time to time. Must turn off Mbox if I want to edit on FCP 7!

It happens with media on external or internal drives, using friendly codecs like ProRes 422, and an Mbox Mini connected with USB or even an Mbox Pro connected by FireWire.

Definitely recommend try turning off peripherals.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]