FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Protection Error - will not go away (not pirating)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Good
FCP Protection Error - will not go away (not pirating)
on May 31, 2013 at 6:51:02 pm

I, and our IT person, have been doing research on this issue since it occurred on Monday. Out of the blue, I booted FCP and received a Protection error. I have not been able to get it to go away since.

This is our company's paid for copy of FCP 7.0.3, purchased new while I was employed. I've been in charge of the software and installations since we acquired it. I have it installed on 2 machines, my mid-2012 Mac Pro and a late-2011 13-inch MacBook Pro, both running Lion 10.7.5. I occasionally run FCP on both computers at the same time so I can continue working while capturing or rendering, but I always (unless I forget) leave one offline.

I'm not sure if both were accidentally online when the issue occurred but what I do know is that I cannot get the "Protection Error" to go away. I've rebooted both machines, trashed preferences, and even shut down one machine completely while trying to boot FCP on the other. Nothing works short of disconnecting from the internet, which, as you can imagine, is greatly impeding my workflow. I'm not looking for an illegal way to bypass the error so I can run both machines online. All I want is to be able to return to normal and edit off my desktop while being able to check email, download files, etc.

Has anyone encountered this problem or know of a solution? I've also considered a full uninstall/reinstall but wanted to get some opinions first. Is it possible someone can jack my serial # from the web? We have a small company and I know that no one here has pirated it.

Thanks for the time. As always your help is much appreciated.

-Aaron Good

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: FCP Protection Error - will not go away (not pirating)
on May 31, 2013 at 9:31:24 pm

There's a key file for authorization that has to live in a specific folder of your system; FCP needs to see the specific file in the specific folder or it thinks you're wearing a hook hand and eyepatch. I am wondering if your file got moved or corrupted. been a while since this happened to me and it happened immediately as I was trying to clean out some dead files, so just reversing the last couple of things I put in the trash solved it for me. But I'm afraid I didn't keep more specific notes than that.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on May 31, 2013 at 10:27:49 pm

maybe you need to re-install?

Return to posts index

Dave Farrants
on Jun 1, 2013 at 5:35:28 am

Try deleting the key file > Library/Application Support/ProApps/Final Cut Studio System ID

Empty the Trash, FCP should then ask for your serial next time you run it.

Web - http://www.foxvideo.co.uk
Blog - http://foxvidpro.blogspot.co.uk/

Return to posts index

Aaron Good
on Jun 3, 2013 at 8:12:59 pm

Well, I located the key and trashed it. My FCP still comes up with the serial number though and goes straight to Protection Error. I'm afraid it's come down to a reinstall. Thanks for the help. Any other suggestions anyone?

Return to posts index

Aaron Good
on Jun 3, 2013 at 8:26:35 pm

I ended up trashing the ProApps System ID as well after I read something somewhere else. That did bring up the Registration screen the next time I booted FCP, but once I entered in the info I got an instant Protection Error. ARGH!

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jun 5, 2013 at 4:00:17 am

are you on a network with your other copy of FCP open?

Return to posts index

Daniel Soekov
on Jun 5, 2013 at 4:29:54 am

With the time spent it on this issue it sounds as if a clean install might be the quickest option. If you do go with this method make sure you use the program 'FCS remover' to make sure you get a proper clean install.

Dan Soekov

Sydney Based Lighting Cameraman / Editor
http://danielsoekov.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]