FORUMS: list search recent posts

24fps to 25fps pull up of split mono track wavs

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Claire Sullivan-Tailyour
24fps to 25fps pull up of split mono track wavs
on May 28, 2013 at 6:42:23 pm

I've got hundreds of split track mono wavs that were unfortunately recorded at 24fps on a mixer. I shot on Alexa at 25fps so need to pull up audio to convert to 25fps before I sync up to footage. I want to retain the split track mono as different mics were recorded on each track and want to option in the edit of choosing between them. I've tried compressor (which merges into one mixed track), FCP (which only does quicktime 25fps options not audio only AIFF/wav), Audacity also mixes the split mono tracks into one track. Any other suggestions? Many thanks, Claire

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: 24fps to 25fps pull up of split mono track wavs
on May 28, 2013 at 11:02:06 pm

Audio doesn't have a frame rate. Do you mean the audio has 24fps timecode in a broadcast wav format?

If so and you need to change the metadata to 25fps then try Wave Agent from Sound Devices

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/waveagent/key-features/

Return to posts index

Claire Sullivan-Tailyour
on May 29, 2013 at 10:54:48 am

Thanks Michael. Unfortunately the problem is that the audio will not sync with picture due to the difference in settings at record stage. By changing the metadata in Wave Agent, it won't do a pull up i.e. lengthen the audio recording so that it matches picture. Or is there a way in Wave Agent to do a pull up of audio that I'm not aware of? Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 29, 2013 at 11:11:03 pm

Unless the sample rate was wrong the sound should sync. If the timecode metadata is wrong then FCP will play the audio at the wrong rate.

So getting FCP to think the timecodes match is usually what is needed with sync issues. The other possibility is that FCP has stamped the wrong frame rate on the audio file. This is a common problem and is caused by having the Easy Setup on a different frame rate to the sequence when audio is imported.

So if it really is broadcast wav with the wrong timecode frame rate use Wave Agent to fix it. If it is the frame rate import error problem then delete the audio, rename it and then re-import into FCP after making sure Easy Setup frame rates and your current project & sequence rate are identical.

This excellent tutorial explains it in more detail
http://library.creativecow.net/lyon_matt/fixing-fcp-assets/1

The second half explains the correct way to import audio. The first half is to fix a problem after editing has started.

Return to posts index

Claire Sullivan-Tailyour
on May 30, 2013 at 12:30:50 pm

Hi Michael,
Thanks for your advice. It must be the sample rate then because when I change frame rate in WaveAgent then reimport back to FCP (new file name, Easy Setup at 25fps, etc) it's still the same problem. The audio is the same length as the other 24fps file on the timeline. The only way I've been able to solve the issue is by changing speed of audio to 104%, saving then reimporting. That seems to sync up, however it also merges the split mono tracks into one stereo track so that doesn't solve my problem.
You mentioned the sample rate - if this is the issue, how would I solve it?
Many thanks,
Claire

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 1, 2013 at 12:02:36 am

Sounds like the problem is with the mismatched sequence to Easy Setup frame rates and FCP stamping the wrong rate on the files.

I recommend looking at Matt Lyons tutorial as the issue will not be sample rate based.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]