FORUMS: list search recent posts

Auto mute audio tracks echoing from other mics

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Card
Auto mute audio tracks echoing from other mics
on May 26, 2013 at 9:39:39 am

Hi,

I shoot a lot of 2 person interviews with lapel mics and find that sometimes (depending on the guest, sound desk settings and room) i get the person talking being picked up on the non talking persons mic. This isn't a major issue as i want to make sure i'm getting enough level from them and i always record them on opposite channels so i can dip the audio during the edit on the opposite mic to avoid this effect.

I just wondered if there was a filter of some kind that i can use to automate this laborious process to an extent?

Alternatively would the fix be that i should be recording audio a much lower levels? (i aim for around -6db to -12db)

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Auto mute audio tracks echoing from other mics
on May 26, 2013 at 11:08:52 pm

Changing level won't help. The only plugin that might help is a downward expander set to a threshold so that the levels are pulled down unless the threshold is reached. This may have other nasty side effects.

So nothing beats mixing which is still a manual task.

Return to posts index

Lawrence Card
on May 27, 2013 at 9:15:13 am

ok, thanks for the response i'll take a look at the downward expander, i guess i need to be recording at lower levels so that i don't get pickup in the other mic. Unfortunately i don't have a sensitivity setting on the mic's that i used which would be the obvious thing to adjust.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 27, 2013 at 11:44:46 pm

If you drop the levels on all mics, you still get exactly the same relative spill so that isn't a solution, just lower levels which might cause other issues.

Mic placement and mixing are really the only ways to deal with multi mic placement issues.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]