FORUMS: list search recent posts

264 nightmare!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Mandenberg
264 nightmare!
on May 24, 2013 at 3:50:19 pm

I started off at a relatively new production company, and although the owner/Director/Producer has made several films before (at least one of which was VERY impressive) he seems...not the most technologically inclined person in the world. He is insisting that we edit everything in H.264, which is making my job a nightmare. Are there any settings I can change to optimize the performance of FCP7 for this (he refuses to switch to 10 as well)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: 264 nightmare!
on May 24, 2013 at 5:36:51 pm

Convert the footage to ProRes. FCP hates working with H.264. The issues are endless, and you don't know which one you'll be hit with. Loss of sync, wrong footage shown when you export, loss of sync when you export...very slow computer performance...General Error...on and on.

The worst thing to do on a production is to let someone who is not technically inclined, dictate the technical workflow. You'll spend more time dealing with the issues then actually working.

Leave the tech to the tech people. If it were me, I'd insist that they convert...or walk. But then again, I'm older, more experienced...and can do that. I also know more about tech than most editors and people who manage edit systems. I'd be able to explain all the issues involved with working native...lay out every place it can go wrong, and then explain my hourly rate and what doing it wrong will cost.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]