FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony FS700 Post Workflow Question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey Cornell
Sony FS700 Post Workflow Question
on May 24, 2013 at 3:11:26 pm

So I've just got a bunch of CF cards in from a shoot from yesterday. I believe the camera used for the interview was a Sony FS700 (not 100% since I was not there), but they used a nanoflash with it. On the CF cards, I have 2 folders: }CLP{ and then a }STT{ file, but FCP L&T doesn't like that structure so I can't use that. The files here are QT movs (M-PEG2) and I need to convert to ProRes 422. Not using MPEG since they don't keep source TC, so I'm using Compressor but it's taking EXTREMELY long, even for a 2 minute clip. Is there a quicker way to do these batches because I have to get all this footage over to the editor, but fear at this rate it will take all day!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Cornell
Re: Sony FS700 Post Workflow Question
on May 24, 2013 at 3:13:38 pm

Oh, also, not to mention bringing over these files onto my other drive is taken close to an hour for 25GB. It shouldn't take that long, right?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on May 25, 2013 at 1:00:38 am

The FS700 shoots AVCHD. Let it be known that I have not worked with this camera. With any tapeless workflow, you need to copy the ENTIRE card structure to a hard drive.
http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on May 26, 2013 at 8:43:02 pm

That is strange. I worked recently with the FS100. I guess, the card structure is similar to the FS700.
And L&T was fine with it.
You just have to make sure you install the right third party plugs to make it work.
Did you check on the SONY site for those? I installed all the plugs for EX1 and other SONYs and I usuall do not have a problem.
Only with the new PMW150 shooting in 50mbps, L&T strikes, then I had to do it with the stand alone App from SONY to convert. This worked fairly fast and reliable, even though I do not like the User Interface of that App.
Besides that, you can use "ClipWrap" a very good Stand alone App to transcode AVCHD footage.

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 27, 2013 at 12:24:01 am

If you haven't tried the free trial of FCPX, I wholeheartedly suggest you do it. We shoot with the FS700 all the time and that media comes over ridiculously fast via SD card. The CF should be almost as fast. If you select the 'optimize' option in the import dialogue, FCPX will create the optimized prores 422 media automatically.

From there, you can copy the optimized AND original media from the event folder that FCPX creates to whatever folder or NLE you want to work in. Copy it out, don't reference it. Other programs do things to media that FCPX doesn't like.

Not saying you have to cut it in FCPX, but it's hands down the best and easiest way we've found to import and convert to Prores from a FS700.

Good luck!

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 27, 2013 at 12:58:17 pm

Whatever the camera used, if the clips from the NANO are QT files (.mov), you don't need to convert to edit.Those MPEG-2 are fully supported by FC (they are XDCAM) and work perfect on a native sequence, or on a Prores sequence.
If all the stuff is the same, edit native, and before exporting your master, change the sequence codec to Prores and check "Render in High Precision".
rafael

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Cornell
on May 27, 2013 at 4:45:44 pm

Thanks, guys for the help!

Return to posts index

chris king
on Jul 3, 2013 at 6:53:17 am

I recently purchased a Sony NEX-FS700 and have been finding any excuse to use it. I even use it around the house to record the most mundane things, which of course look AWESOME at 240fps – pouring hot water in a tea cup, lighting a match, my brother giving his baby a kiss. Well, I'm currently having a problem JUST like you while importing some 50p footage shot on an FS700. I know that FCP doesn't support 50p footage, so I am unable to edit Sony NEX-FS700 AVCHD files in Final Cut Pro 6/7 or FCP X on mac as FCP can’t support MPEG4 AVC/H.264 encoded AVCHD files well. A quick Google suggest that Compressor, but not a good enough output quality as my expectation. Finally I got the solution from a relevant thread:

http://www.slideshare.net/camcordervideotips/transcode-sony-nexfs700-footage-to-edit-in-final-cut-pro-7x-smoothly

I found it’s not hard work actually.

http://video-playback-tips.com/

Return to posts index

joanna krupa
on Jan 13, 2015 at 9:30:24 am
Last Edited By joanna krupa on Jan 14, 2015 at 1:04:55 am

The MTS file is Sony's AVCHD which is based on .H264. It's not an editing format, it's a delivery format.

The advantage of using 5DtoRGB is that it can "correct" the footage from 109IRE to 100IRE. You have to do that manually in FCPX. You can also use CLIPWrap to reconform slowmo footage.

but here i suggest you to change the avchd to prores 422, 422hq or prores 4444 for final cut pro by using a third-party tool , which will make the steps easier. Did you agree with me ?

http://format-shifting.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]