FORUMS: list search recent posts

settings for FCP7 projects to Website...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isabella Vella
settings for FCP7 projects to Website...
on May 23, 2013 at 10:56:06 pm

What are the best settings for uploading short (under 5 minutes) FCP7 projects? I shoot on a SONY NXcam, footage is imported to FC as AVCHD. Sequence settings in FC are 1920x1080 HDTV 1080i (16:9). Pixel aspect ration is Squqre, field dom: upper (odd) Editing timebase: 29.97 QT video Settings: compressor Apple Pro Res 422; Audio 48 kHz, 16-bit, channel grouped. Render codec is same as sequence. In the recent past I exported using QT conversion, my files were about 187 MG, upload to Schooltube and then use schooltube as the video host for our website. Now when I try to upload much shorter videos the exact same way, my videos are horribly pixelated on Schooltube.

I have exported using QT conversion and just QT using all sorts of combinations, standard video compression settings: Compression Type: H.264; current frame rate, Data Rate: Automatic; Compression Quality at medium and high...

School tube says their encoder processor speed is max at 360p.

Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,
Isabella

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: settings for FCP7 projects to Website...
on May 23, 2013 at 11:01:00 pm

[Isabella Vella] "I have exported using QT conversion"

Export a Self-Contained QuickTime Movie. Drop that File into Compressor and use an h.264 export. There are presets for YouTube/Vimeo.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Isabella Vella
on May 24, 2013 at 12:22:01 am

Thanks for your quick response. I just did what you suggested, the only problem is that the file is larger than the QT file exported from FCP7. THe QT file from FCP is 2.62 GB and the file compressed in .264 is 292 GB.
This is too large to upload to the web.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 24, 2013 at 6:10:18 am

A couple of things:
You are working with Interlaced media and that MUST be deinterlaced for the web.
Or you do it in FC (the default deinterlacing filter is not good), or you do it while compressing the H264. If you do it with QT Conversion, the deinterlacing will also be very crappy. You can try Compressor (Frame Control ON), or MPGStreamclip.

[Isabella Vella] " the file is larger than the QT file exported from FCP7. THe QT file from FCP is 2.62 GB and the file compressed in .264 is 292 GB.
This is too large to upload to the web."

[Isabella Vella] "compression settings: Compression Type: H.264; current frame rate, Data Rate: Automatic; Compression Quality at medium and high..."
You can NEVER leave "Data Rate AUTO", because you have no control over the file size,
Do like that:
- Frame rate; Current.
- Key-frames: AUTOMATIC
- Best Quality: Multipass.
- Then "Data Rate Restricted to..", try 5.000Kbps to start. That will give you an acceptable quality and quite small file. You can rise the data rate up to you. 10/15.000Kbps will give a very good picture, and from that data rate up, the clip will look almost as hasn't undergone any compression.
rafael

Return to posts index

Isabella Vella
on May 24, 2013 at 7:28:56 pm

Hi Raphael,
Thanks for your advice. I tried your settings and coming out of FC my project is 1.3 GB and out of compressor is 2.64 GB. I thought compressor was supposed to reduce the size of a project file.
This is a small project with a few titles and transitions. About 2:40 in length.

Can you recommend a good website or tutorial where I can read up on this?
Thanks,
Isabella

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on May 25, 2013 at 1:08:31 am

Isabella

You are doing something wrong. Your h.264 using a bit rate of 5000 or 6000 should be in MB not GB. Compressor has presets built in that are easy to use.

The manual is a great place to start.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Isabella Vella
on May 25, 2013 at 2:21:53 am

Okay, I'll check into it, I never used compressor until 2 days ago when I started having these problems--I realize I must be doing something wrong. Also, I wonder if it has to do with the bandwidth where I live, which is rural Alaska, off the road system, 500 miles from a main city center. The other issue I wonder about is the web host for our videos, SchoolTube, gives access to our website at school sites...but they encode at 350p. It hasn't been a problem in the past. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 25, 2013 at 6:23:07 am

[Isabella Vella] "Thanks for your advice. I tried your settings and coming out of FC my project is 1.3 GB and out of compressor is 2.64 GB. I thought compressor was supposed to reduce the size of a project file.
This is a small project with a few titles and transitions. About 2:40 in length."

Isabella, you must have done something wrong.
With the setting I gave you (5.000Kbps data rate), you should be getting a file of around 90MB. A bit more because the audio.

This is how the compressor GUI must looks like:

BTW, don't forget to compress the audio as AAC.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]