FORUMS: list search recent posts

GoPro to FCP 7 workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Henken
GoPro to FCP 7 workflow
on May 23, 2013 at 3:18:10 pm

Hi CreativeCow. Long time listener, first time caller.

I'm having a problem that lurking forums and Google have not been able to answer:

Currently working as a hired hand on a documentary project, trying to ingest GoPro timelapse (JPG) and POV (MP4) footage into a FCP 7 project. Sequence settings are HDV 1080i (16:9) using an XDCAM EX 1080p24 compressor (the majority of this project was shot on EX-1).

The problem is that when importing 4:3 footage from the GoPro, the resulting Quicktime is either stretched and distorted to fit the 16:9 (such as converting to XDCAM EX 1080p24), or keeps its aspect ratio but requires constant rendering (such as converting to Apple Motion JPEG A or ProRes).

I've been messing around with settings in MPEG Streamclip and Compressor and scouring the web for tips on sending GoPro footage to Final Cut, but so far have not found any better options.

Answers like "Shoot 16:9" or "Use Premiere" are not helpful as I'm using company equipment to play the hand the field crew dealt us.

If anyone's got any other advice, please drop a line, thanks!

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: GoPro to FCP 7 workflow
on May 23, 2013 at 6:53:38 pm

How come your sequence is HDV 1080i as opposed to HDV 1080p24?

GoPro still images typically have a huge resolution. To create the timelapse use QT 7 Pro. File > Open Image Sequence , select the first image in the folder, choose 24 fps since that's what your project is, than wait for QT to build the timelapse. Then File > Export, export a 1920 x 1080 ProRes with Preserve Aspect Ratio set to Crop, which will allow the image to fill a 16x9 frame.

You can use MPEG Streamclip to render out the GoPro .mp4's to ProRes.

Return to posts index

Philip Henken
Re: GoPro to FCP 7 workflow
on May 23, 2013 at 7:41:17 pm

Thanks I'll give it a try! Forgot QT 7 Pro as an exporting tool.

The sequence was laid out prior to my arrival--didn't realize there was a problem until I was deep in it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]