FORUMS: list search recent posts

Weird Pixelation Problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samuel Hays
Weird Pixelation Problem
on May 23, 2013 at 1:38:54 am

I'm using FCP7, and I'm having a weird problem where whenever I try to render red (or reddish) colored text, it turns out all pixelated. This doesn't happen when the same exact text is white, green, or blue. It only seems to happen with red. Even when I export, the reddish text is unusually pixelated. This also happens with some .jpg and .psd files made with Photoshop. It's like FCP has some kind of weird problem with red hues...

Has anyone heard of this kind of thing happening before? What sort of settings might I check out?....

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Weird Pixelation Problem
on May 23, 2013 at 2:07:03 am

Video and RED don't go well together. Been an issue since the advent of color. Make it less bright. The less true red, the better.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Samuel Hays
on May 23, 2013 at 3:51:12 am

Okay, I had a funny feeling it was maybe something like that. ...Do you happen to know why that is exactly? Strange....

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 23, 2013 at 4:52:33 am

I don't know the science behind it, but here:

http://avp.stackexchange.com/questions/5533/why-does-the-color-red-always-a...

Google "why does red look bad in video" and you'll get stuff. It just is bad.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 23, 2013 at 5:33:49 am

You haven't said which codec are you working with.
If you are working with DV, DVCPro25, HDV, AVCHD, or any other 420/411 codec, you will get pixelation (blockiness) because is in the nature of the codec.
If you are editing any of those codecs, try changing the sequence codec to prores
The second issue is the chroma of the reds you are applying. The chroma won't produce the pixelation but the higher the saturation the most noticeable will be.
rafael

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on May 23, 2013 at 2:01:48 pm

[Rafael Amador] "You haven't said which codec are you working with"
Still doesn't matter. Red has never been a video friendly color. To add to it, most people over saturate their colors. Even that is bad for video. It is very important to know how to read vectorscopes, RGB parades and histograms. It's like driving with blinders on when you don't use them.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Samuel Hays
on May 23, 2013 at 8:57:01 pm

Thanks for the info, guys. I got it to the point where the red is now tolerable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]