FORUMS: list search recent posts

I/O card usage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
I/O card usage
on May 22, 2013 at 1:20:40 pm

I'm looking into purchasing either a Thunderbolt or the PCIe I/O but this question is really for any of the I/O card/devices. When we all talk about doing the conversion on output, I would assume most are referring to output to tape, like an HDCamSR for the highest quality and allowing the I/O card to do the work. But in this digital era, outputting to tape is not in my workflow and most likely never will be.

So, can these I/O cards do standards conversions on output to a digital file? For instance, if I have a 1080p23.976 timeline in FCP and I want to output to 60i for broadcast, will the I/O card do the conversion and add in the proper 3:2 pulldown on output to a self-contained Quicktime, say to ProRes HQ? I know you have the option to select an AJA or BM codec (that was installed with driver and depending on what brand you buy) from the output settings, so will selecting that proper codec take advantage of the I/O card or simply keep it as a software only output?

Sounds like a rookie question, I know. But I never go to tape (I leave that to our post house), and wanted to know if the I/O card will do more for me than just monitor audio & video externally.

OSX 10.7.5 with a 3.39 Ghz Intel Core i7 on a built up Hackintosh
16 GB of RAM with OSX on SSD, (2) internal HDDs RAID'd 1 for project files and External RAID 5 for all project assets (media, GFX, stills, etc.)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: I/O card usage
on May 22, 2013 at 5:26:06 pm

[Matt Campbell] "So, can these I/O cards do standards conversions on output to a digital file?"

Nope. Their ability to up/down/cross convert only works on input to or output from the card. What you CAN do...is output to a digital recorder like the KiPro, or Ninja. or have two computers with IO devices and connect them via their cards, and do a real time play/record.

[Matt Campbell] "For instance, if I have a 1080p23.976 timeline in FCP and I want to output to 60i for broadcast, will the I/O card do the conversion and add in the proper 3:2 pulldown on output to a self-contained Quicktime, say to ProRes HQ?"

Nope. But I have done this to the KiPro with great results. If I had more of these outputs, I'd buy one. I just rent it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on May 22, 2013 at 6:32:25 pm

What you CAN do...is output to a digital recorder like the KiPro, or Ninja. or have two computers with IO devices and connect them via their cards, and do a real time play/record.

I guess all I need is 2 workstations with I/O cards and this can be local right. Being a 1 man band, there's no machine room or router/switcher involved. Just out of one workstations card and into the other. Don't even need to same brand right. Would something like a cheap Intensity Pro Card via HDMI out work into its big brother the Decklink 4K or Studio 3D?

Don't think HDMI out would carry HDCP protection would it. Isn't that only for DVD players and those things.

Renting...Good point. Thx.

16 GB of RAM with OSX on SSD, (2) internal HDDs RAID'd 1 for project files and External RAID 5 for all project assets (media, GFX, stills, etc.)

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 23, 2013 at 1:46:04 pm

HDCP protection would it. Isn't that only for DVD players and those things

Tape masters would appear to be evolving into being a kind of encryption protection, anyway, since fewer and fewer individuals and organizations own/operate them. Tape is also a more robust archiving medium, although it still cannot compare with emulsion-based images.

File encryption is a can of worms. The unfortunate reality is that the kind of protection that works is to personally carry around a thumb drive that only you know the password for. All that other stuff, especially the checkboxes in the DVD authoring software, have no effect whatsoever on "copy protection", as that kind of encryption or encoding must be done under license, and this is not a feature of any consumer application, and I am including DVD Studio Pro and Encore in this category.

This will become more important as time goes by, certainly a factor in the DCP generating component plugin for the forthcoming Resolve release Ten, whether you want to buy the license for that (and how it will be priced to include the entirety of DCP licensing, encryption, KDM generation, etc). But realistically, most files become unreadable and corrupt within a couple of years anyway, so why worry about thieves when we can't even keep the projects alive ourselves, or in the case of the "Cloud", keep on paying "protection money" to an international corporation?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on May 23, 2013 at 2:03:43 pm

Thx Joseph. So using the HDMI out from one workstation would work coming HDMI in to another. And by your response, I believe this would work. Since the NLE nor I/O card is generating any HDCP. So HDMI can carry HDCP but something still needs to generate it. Like with consumer DVD players. But like with some cameras, HDMI out is great. So if I don't have SDI, HDMI would be just as good to avoid any gen loss. Don't want to use Component. Thx.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]