FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting Canon 5D project FCP 7 for YouTube

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucia Grillo
Exporting Canon 5D project FCP 7 for YouTube
on May 21, 2013 at 7:52:40 pm

Hello,

I am editing a music video shot on the Canon 5D, which I am cutting using FCP 7. The video is just over 5 minutes.

I have been searching and researching, experimenting for days and either my exports look horrificly pixelized, plays in a lagging manner, or YouTube simply will not process it (My YouTube channel is set to advanced, so that I am supposed to be able to load projects larger than 20GB and the size of the video that would not process was only 5GB; longer than 15 minutes and this one is just larger than 5 minutes).

I usually just export Quicktime directly from FCP 7 and experiment with settings until I find the best one for specific project (heretofore shot on DV), but this time it's just not working to give me something high quality.

I have tried Compressor (H.264), Mpeg Streamclip and am now waiting for an export from FCP 7's "Share" to YouTube feature, as another attempt at 1-pass Mp4 export from Mpeg Streamclip falied miserably (skipping frames and pixelated).

Specs:
Camera: Canon 5D
Frame size: 1920 x 1080
Compressor: Apple ProRes 4444
Rate: 23.98 fps
Audio: 44.1 KHz
Processor: 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
External drive: 1TB mini-G with 52GB available space, Firewire 800
FCP 7.0.3

I have filters and effects throughout (1-3 filters per clip), minimal color correction, and have slowed down the speed of some clips by 50%.
Also, some fast cuts to go with the music (which in some versions of my export, do not show, as in skipped frames)

I used Mpeg Streamclip on a previous version without multi-pass and it looked fine (except for the reduced speed clips, which look very digital; but that I'll ask about on another forum, unless someone can tell me here). I tried multi-pass, wanting the absolute best quality video, and not only did it take more than 12 hours, it was completely pixelized and was almost like still shots rather than video. I did not enter a data rate, so perhaps that was my mistake?

My questions are:
-What is the best tool to use for highest quality video?
-what steps should I take as per my specifications above?

Thank you,

Lucia

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
Re: Exporting Canon 5D project FCP 7 for YouTube
on May 21, 2013 at 9:04:53 pm

Are you converting it to H.264?

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Exporting Canon 5D project FCP 7 for YouTube
on May 21, 2013 at 9:34:39 pm

You'll need to export your FCP7 timeline to a format that YouTube supports - likely h.264 mp4 file. There's several ways to do this, but the easiest is to use Compressor to encode the file. You can send your timeline from FCP7 to Compressor and apply the settings within Compressor. For internet delivery I refer people to Vimeo's Compression guide (settings are about the same for YouTube as for Vimeo):

http://www.vimeo.com/help/compression

Tutorials for how to use your particular app are on the right side of the page.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]