FORUMS: list search recent posts

A text/de-interlacing nightmare!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny White
A text/de-interlacing nightmare!
on May 21, 2013 at 10:52:09 am

Hi there,

I think this is a common problem, although it's got me completely stumped. I've been editing using an mpg file which is the only existing conversion of the super8 footage I need to use. THIS was the format of the existing footage

It claimed to not be compressed, but I couldn't seem to match it with a sequence setting so I converted it just to a mov for editing, therefore the footage I was EDITING with was THIS.

I edited it, put on some titles (using the text function in final cut). Then I exported it with the same settings as I was editing it with (i.e the settings on the last screengrab), and took it into Compressor to export it for the web. The problem is, in Compressor, when I deinterlace, it ruins the text. It makes the footage look lovely, but the text goes jaggedy, seems like the text doesn't need deinterlacing but the footage does. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I could remedy this as it's driving my nuts! Apologies if any of this is badly explained.. x

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: A text/de-interlacing nightmare!
on May 21, 2013 at 3:05:27 pm

Try changing field dominance to "upper".

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: A text/de-interlacing nightmare!
on May 22, 2013 at 12:03:42 am

DV in PAL (25fps) is lower. For the web, you should have chosen a codec that can be progressive like ProRes not DV. Jagged text is a problem with DV full stop. That plus the fact you are now interlacing something for the web is a problem.

So right idea to transcode to a frame & codec format that works with FCP but wrong codec with DV. You can improve the situation by making a duplicate of your timeline and then changing the sequence codec to ProRes 422 and changing the sequence field dominance to none and then rendering. That should get rid of the interlacing you added and make the text look better.

Next time avoid DV. In fact avoiding DV always is good advice. ProRes422 is your friend.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]