FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to get multiple video sources to DVD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Paskewitz
Best way to get multiple video sources to DVD
on May 21, 2013 at 5:45:48 am

I really like this website because it has great content. This is my first time posting a thread. I am a senior in high school and have just gotten a video project that I am now finding challenging. I am in charge of making a DVD that summarizes the event. I will be using FCP 7.

I have video from a school event that was shot on GoPro, and a Flip Ultra HD. I also will be using still photos from the event.

The GoPro files say 1280x720 at 29.971 frames/s with a DAR of 1.778 and an aspect ratio of 16:9, and a codec pf H.264/MPEG-4 AVC.

The Flip Ultra HD files say 1280x720 at 30 frames/s with a DAR of 1.778 and an aspect ratio of 16:9, and a codec of H.264/MPEG-4 AVC.

What is the best way to edit these files in Final Cut Pro? The final output will be a DVD authored with DVD Studio Pro. Will I have to convert frame rates or anything like that? Also, will I have to worry about sound data rates being different between the two sources?

Thanks in advance knowledgeable people of the internet. I am trying to get into the video production field which is why I took on this project.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Best way to get multiple video sources to DVD
on May 21, 2013 at 10:37:48 am

You need to convert everything to Prores keeping the original size, time base and field order.
I guess the "i30fps' of the Flip Ultra is not real 30fps but 29.98.
Check this after conversion, and if its happens to be real 30fps, you need to conform the clips to 29,98fps with CinemaTools.
Then you can edit all the stuff together in a 1280x720 Squared pixels p29,98 sequence.
After exporting the Prores master from FC, in Compressor you can apply any of the DVD presets.
In Compressor, you need to set the "Frame Control;: ON".
rafael

Return to posts index

William Paskewitz
on May 21, 2013 at 11:53:41 am

Thanks for your reply. How do I convert my .mp4 files to ProRes? Do I use ProRes422 or ProRes422 HQ? Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 21, 2013 at 2:18:55 pm

As Raphael says, you have to transcode everything to ProRes 422, AND at the proper frame rate. Blow it off at your peril. In the Western Hemisphere, that would be 29.97 frames/sec. You're probably seeing those other goofy frame rates -- the ones that hover around 29.97 -- in a viewer. They're not accurate in reporting frame rate.

MPEG Streamclip can both transcode and get you to 29.97, it's just a google away, and it's free.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

William Paskewitz
on May 21, 2013 at 7:39:38 pm

Thanks for the advise. I just ran all of the conversions with Compressor and when I imported them into the FCP they say 30fps. Was I supposed to change the framerate in the Compressor ProRes442 preset to 29.97?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 21, 2013 at 9:35:59 pm

The video was shot at 29.97. You should make darn sure it's 29.97 throughout the process. If that involves making your own Compressor preset, so be it.

But I'm almost positive there's one in Compressor that already exists. If it doesn't, make it. It's easy.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

William Paskewitz
on May 31, 2013 at 2:10:47 am

I have converted all clips to a frame rate of 29.97 using Compressor. Some of the clips have some kind of "ghosting" effect going on. Why is this and how can I remove it? Thanks in advance. The project is coming along nicely.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]