FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need to convert all my H.264 movie files to Pro Res 422 (HQ)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Landers
Need to convert all my H.264 movie files to Pro Res 422 (HQ)
on May 20, 2013 at 9:54:36 pm

I'm trying to finalize a project for color and can't export a proper EDL. I've been told in order to get proper timecode I need to transcode all my .MOVs (H.264 codec) I got from my Mark III to Pro Res. I know Final Cut has a Recompress feature in the Media Manager, but I've been led to believe I need to use a third-party software to do the transcode. Is this true? Is there any difference in how long one will take vs. the other? Any difference in quality? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Need to convert all my H.264 movie files to Pro Res 422 (HQ)
on May 21, 2013 at 12:53:03 pm

You can use QT Player 7 for this. I use it to export H.264 movies (with an MP4 wrapper) from ProRes movies all the time and it does a superb job. Just use it in reverse to do your job. I haven't heard about TC issues bringing native H.264 stuff into FCP 7 before, though.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on May 21, 2013 at 1:10:10 pm

You can use any number of softwares to do this - FCP7, Compressor, MPEG Streamclip. There's no "magic-sauce" when it comes to transcoding footage. Though I've heard (not confirmed personally) that Red Giant's Grinder does a good job of preserving timecode. That software is about $50 I believe.

The timecode isn't as much the issue as FCP7 doesn't play well with h.264 mov's. You can drop it on the timeline and make simple edits, but if you get into any FX work or color correction then you'll lose realtime playback and be rendering over and over and over again to see what you've done. ProRes is without a doubt the way to go for compatibility across various software apps, in my opinion.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 22, 2013 at 12:07:40 am

If the edit is done then try the simple fix. Media Manage the final sequence and recompress to proRes422. Then export that new project to Color.

You can make the process fast and simple by deleting unused media and adding a couple of second handles. You might need to add a reel number to the clips first.

HQ doesn't add anything but file size. For material originating in H264 and in standard HD frame sizes, HQ isn't necessary.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]