FORUMS: list search recent posts

sync prob w proRes files exported from good sync TL

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dougherty
sync prob w proRes files exported from good sync TL
on May 20, 2013 at 6:28:51 pm

I have Canon h.264 footage (an interview) that needs to be synched up with a wave file. Did it with PluralEyes, looks good. Go to export the resulting new seq as a ProRes Qt and when I reimport the result it looks several frames out of sync (video late). I have a hunch others have run into this before, what to do?

I'm running FCP 7 on a system that is unfamiliar to me, it is equipped with a Kona card. Sync on the reimported ProRes file looks bad on the FCP Viewer and on the video monitor.

Also this is the first time I've had to sync footage in bulk, creating new originals. This is an ancillary question… but I'd like the new sunk-up ProRes files to mirror the Canon originals as much as possible, duration, TC etc. Besides the sync issue, any other work flow tips to achieve this?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: sync prob w proRes files exported from good sync TL
on May 20, 2013 at 6:49:30 pm

Don't sync the H.264. You need to convert it to ProRes FIRST, then sync it. FCP doesn't like H.264 at all. It might look like it does, but secretly, deep down, it will mess things up.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on May 20, 2013 at 6:52:52 pm

Thanks Shane, so convert raw to ProRes, sync that, then export the sunk up timeline to ProRes to make a new 'working' footage file?

Paul

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 20, 2013 at 7:18:22 pm

Why do that? Sync internally in FCP. Make a "merged clip."

Exporting again will add a layer of recompression unnecessarily.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on May 21, 2013 at 12:54:46 am

Thanks Shane,

Sorry I missed your 'merged' post. Sorry to say I was not familiar with 'merged clip' - embarrassing, but thanks so much. I guess the thing that freaks me still is the that (even with a proves version of the footage) I'll have this merged clip in a (final edit) seq timeline, all nice and sunk up then I go to export my ProRes master and the shots are out of sync again. I would like so much not to bother what is happening 'under the hood' - re this sync strangeness.

I'll try to maker a test edit with the merge clip technique and see where I'm at.

Paul

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on May 20, 2013 at 7:19:35 pm

As a side note I should mention that when I did a log & transfer with this Canon footage (w camera mic and) it too was out of sync once it was ingested by FCP. I'm going to try what Shane is suggesting using Compressor to x-fer the h.264 ftp ProRes

Paul

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on May 21, 2013 at 1:22:34 am

wonder if your sync issue is really a monitoring issue.

are you monitoring video & audio from the same output?
if not it can seem as if you are out of sync

have a look in your A/V settings (under the Final Cut Pro Menu)

nick

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on May 21, 2013 at 1:33:30 pm

Thanks Nick, I'll check that.

With Shane's help this is what I figured out that works. I'd use PluralEyes to find sync* but I would not actually use the Sequence that PluralEyes generates but rather just pull TC values or "in points" from it

I have a 11 min video clip with bad camera mic sound, a 50min "good" audio wave file. I would first transcode this Canon h.264 mov to ProRes, bring that into FCP. Using the PluralEyes in-point on the wave file to make a audio sub clip to match the approx length of the video clip. I'd lower the level of the of the bad audio down to zero, then merge these clips. The result is good but I have 2 useless silent tracks in the merges clip, my only little gripe. I did a test edit cutting bits of this merged clip together in a new seq, exported the result and it holds sync. Of course, one might say but in so many tests I did things went out of sync after exporting, I was spooked.

*if if have several good audio recordings (like boom & lav) can I use PluralEyes to sync up 2 good tracks at a time That is - to tell PluralEyes (standalone 3) there are 2 audio recorder files that need to be sunk at once? I've poked around but it always seems to butt the 2 on a single track.

Paul

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on May 28, 2013 at 2:08:18 pm

I discovered that the main source of my sync problems was related to the Kona card. I had the HD monitor powered off but External Video was enabled in FCP. My ProRes files would play in sync on the HD(Kona) video display but be many frames off on the Mac display. When I disabled the External Video, the sync on the Mac display was fine.

I can't prove it now because I'm not there but I do not think this discrepancy was universal, when I was lining up the 'good' audio to the h.264 file, I did not notice a problem.

Paul

p.s. thanks again everyone

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]