FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting in .MP4

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexiou Gibson
Exporting in .MP4
on May 20, 2013 at 6:14:14 pm

My client has asked for me to export my final products in .MP4 because that is the format needed for their website. The problem is I lose a lot of quality when I do this. Am I doing something wrong?

I go to Export>Using Quicktime Conversion> Click MPEG-4> Options>Video Format H.264> Image Size Current

This is when I see a problem. When I click Image size current it shows that the original file size is 428x241
when it is 1080P. And If I choose the option under Image Size to 1920x1080 it exports in really bad quality.

What should I do?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Exporting in .MP4
on May 20, 2013 at 6:47:58 pm

Export a QT movie...self contained using the sequence settings. Basically a lossless quicktime. Then use MPEG STREAMCLIP to make the MPEG-4. It does a good job.

Or...take the movie into Compressor...compress to H.264. Then use MPEG STREAMCLIP to "Save as" an MP4. MPEG-4 (MP4) is just a container, like MOV. Both can be H.264 (as you saw). I compress using compressor and then MPEG STREAMCLIP to save as for all the people who ask for MP4.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alexiou Gibson
on May 20, 2013 at 7:30:13 pm

Thank you so much for responding. So is MPEG STREAMCLIP better than just using the MP4 option that is in Compressor already?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 20, 2013 at 7:38:20 pm

You yourself said it was icky. I've never had decent luck. I typically convert to H.264 in Compressor, and then use MPEG STREAMCLIP to SAVE AS MP4.

Well, that's what I USED to do. Now I simply use Adobe Media Encoder because I have Adobe CS6. it does a bang up job.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Alexiou Gibson
on May 20, 2013 at 8:40:19 pm

This worked perfectly! Thank you so much.

Return to posts index

John Lanza
on Jun 20, 2014 at 1:44:39 pm

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread...

If I export a sequence as a QT movie at its current settings (in my case it's 1920 x 1080), is it okay to then change the settings in MPEG Streamclip to 1280 x 720 to create the MP4 that my client is requesting?
Or am I better off keeping the size the same as the exported QT?

If there is a good place to learn about conversions, including quality and file sizes, please feel free to share...

Return to posts index

Anthony von Seck
on Sep 1, 2015 at 11:54:07 am

Hi All,

I just recently purchased a Sony A7S rii. I set the camera to the 4K setting. When looking at the files they are split into .MP4 and .XML. When trying to bring them into MPEG Streamclip or Brorsoft MXF converter, neither work. I need to edit in FCP 7, so any suggestions as to how I can convert these into apple pro res would be greatly appreciated.

AVS

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 1, 2015 at 4:21:20 pm

Typically one would start a new topic for your issue, since it is completely unrelated to the topic you are posting in. Next time please start a new topic.

EditReady from divergentmedia.com will convert this format. Warning...it requires OS 10.9. FCP 7 will still work under that OS, but Motion and Compressor will have issues, or not work at all, as that OS doesn't support that old software. But EditReady will convert that footage to ProRes just fine.

There are no solutions that work on previous OS versions...as that camera format is new, and all software solutions are written for later versions of computer OSs.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Anthony von Seck
on Sep 1, 2015 at 4:34:45 pm

Thanks Shane. My first post on CCow. I will adhere next time. Pavtube managed to do it well, and quickly. Appreciate your quick response. As I'm new to the A7S Rii I will try and impart what I learn to any who encounter problems here.

Return to posts index

Isbela Faria Trigo
on Jul 16, 2015 at 6:48:11 pm

What is QT and how do i export an originally h.264 video file that way?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 16, 2015 at 7:42:22 pm

[Isbela Faria Trigo] "What is QT"

Quicktime

[Isbela Faria Trigo] "how do i export an originally h.264 video file that way?"

From what? Export to Quicktime H.264 from what?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jan Laidlaw
on Nov 25, 2015 at 7:51:17 am

Thanks Shane Ross, I'm still using FCP7 (more than 2 years after this post!) and have been struggling to get reasonable quality YouTube settings. Saving my QT movie as an MP4 in MPEG STREAMCLIP worked great!

Return to posts index

Quinn Corkal
on May 21, 2013 at 5:45:44 pm

The Compressor and FCP mp4 outputs seem to have trouble playing on certain devices. For example, I tested an mp4 output on my PS3 and it would not play.

I then took it to MPEG Streamclip, used best settings on there, and it works everywhere. Not only that, but it outputs a higher quality mp4.

It's a simple workflow, too. In FCP, Export Quicktime (not conversion, just regular). You can choose either Self Contained or not, it shouldn't matter. Bring that exported file into MPEG Streamclip and export and mp4.

Quinn Corkal
Executive Producer
Link Three Media
http://www.linkthreemedia.com

Video/TV Production, Web Design, Media

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Apr 16, 2015 at 2:39:42 pm

So there is no way to "send to compressor" and then create a custom export setting that gives me .mp4 container...is that correct? I do a lot of product videos so it would be ideal to select all 40 FCPX projects, batch send to compressor and then output all to .mp4 with one click.

Going back to FCP7 the fastest way is to export as source then encode in wondershare video convertor. It would be nice to just make two mouse clicks (select all send to compressor and then encode) to reach the same goal. Would allow me to walk away during encoding.

Just seems like this isn't possible. Strange that this isn't an option.

Macbook Pro Retina: 2.6GHZ i7, 16GB RAM 1600MHz DDR3, GT 650M 1GB RAM

Hackintosh (Sandy Bridge): i5 2500, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3, Nvidia GT640 2GB RAM

OWC 4TB RAID0 (using esata)
Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 (6Gb/s)
Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adapter

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Nov 25, 2015 at 3:41:13 pm

[adam chesbrough] "So there is no way to "send to compressor" and then create a custom export setting that gives me .mp4 container...is that correct?"

You can still do this with Compressor 3. But not with Compressor 4. However, "sending" to Compressor prevents you from continuing to use FCP for editing. So I actually prefer exporting a QT Movie (I always do two: self-contained and reference), which you'll want for your archives anyway, then dragging that into Compressor. And to answer your question, of course you can create custom .mp4 settings! Just duplicate the setting in Compressor, rename it, and make your changes.

It's really best to know where you'll be streaming your video and for whom when it comes to compression. Streaming 1080p at a decent quality requires a higher bit rate and consequently a larger file size. The last thing you want is for the video to stop and start during play for your end-user, which is exactly what will happen if the bitrate is too high and their download speed too slow. People know there's a compromise when it comes to quality on the web. But if the video keeps stopping, they'll just give up and surf elsewhere.

Vimeo defaults it's streaming at 720p and I think provides a 360p for mobile (automatic switching, depending on the person's device). So if that's your end route, you can use Compressor to export a 720p H.264 at 15 MBs with PCM audio and upload that. The file size will be smaller than a 1080p, and if it's not being delivered as a 1080p, no need to make one.

If, however, your end user is a broadcaster for example, and you're sending them a rough-cut of something, you can upload a 1080p and change the settings in Vimeo to accommodate. People in the know will know that they may need to let the video download a bit before playing.

As a side note...

I have a website that streams some of my work and I used to host my own videos. For every clip or movie, you need at least three MP4 files: an HD version (higher quality, like 1080p or 720p), SD version (lower quality, like 540p), and mobile (360p). THEN, you need WebM versions of each for FireFox (at least the older versions). It's a lot of compressing, and if you don't have a good server, there'll be hiccups and people will complain. THIS is why I've become an advocate of using a platform like Vimeo. You can embed the movies into your own website or just send people a link. It's easier and way more reliable.

My specs: FCP 6.0.6, El Capitan, rMBP 15" i7 2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]