FORUMS: list search recent posts

Uprezzing SD 30i media to 1080p29.97 cut into timeline ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie Walunas
Uprezzing SD 30i media to 1080p29.97 cut into timeline ?
on May 20, 2013 at 5:18:13 am

Finishing up a short doc I started when I was naive and in college with zero guidance, now 5 years later, it's truly worth finishing and getting out into the world.

Started shooting everything as 16x9 SD, properly captured tape as such. A few years later got a DSLR, started filming 1080p29.97. Naively set my sequence and transcoded all the HD stuff to Pro Res 422 HQ 1080p30 and copied and pasted in the SD material I edited. Essentially I'm in a Pro Res 422 HQ sequence with properly transcoded DSLR media, and a bunch of non-transcoded 16x9 SD clips. The ratio of SD to HD in the sequence is about 50:50 (unfortunately). I did a quick test with a friend who has access to a broadcast monitor and he said that I had come to a good Compressor transcode setting for the SD clips being uprezzed to HD. Great. The problem is that If I transcode all the SD material to HD as such - it's going to take up a lot of space - 20+ tapes, all around 60 minutes. Reconnecting would be easy and swift, but the space is a concern for me on this self-funded project.

I'm hoping someone can help me out with a workflow to uprez this SD material. I've been in Avid land for a while now and need some fleshing out of this process in FCP. My idea is to create a duplicate sequence of the sequence I am locking picture with, eliminate all but the SD clips that need to be transcoded to HD, then Consolidate that with the Media Tool and Recompress the media to Pro Res 422 HQ 1080p30. But, next, I'm not quite sure what I would do.

How would I combine the new uprezed sequence with the true HD sequence? If this was Avid I'd simply path in and over-write my clips. Is this even the best way to go about uprezzing my clips? Should I actually just use the great Compressor setting I made to get my SD clips to HD for the project and deal with the space/money issue?

Step-by-step details are strongly appreciated!

First exhibition for this film will be film festivals, then whatever else comes our way.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Uprezzing SD 30i media to 1080p29.97 cut into timeline ?
on May 20, 2013 at 6:50:34 am

Media manage all the SD footage in the timeline to only include the clips used, with handles (1 second or so). Use the COPY option. Then, upres only those clips...not the full tapes. You do this when you have picture lock.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on May 20, 2013 at 7:07:08 am

Then how do you put the SD clips back in with the HD clips and everything else once that SD clips are transcoded-consolidated with handles?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 20, 2013 at 7:34:14 am

You take the SD clips offline, and relink to the HD clips. Hmmm...but Compressor likes to add the compressor type to the name. So from "CLIP1" to "CLIP1-ProResHQ." You'll have to make the setting in Compressor not do that.

Then you simply relink to the HD footage, and then remove attributes on the clips so they fit the screen (SD clips are blown up).

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on May 20, 2013 at 1:29:32 pm

or use a batch re-namer to strip the compressor setting from the name.

R-Name is great, google the universal binary version.

nick

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on May 21, 2013 at 6:22:31 am

I understand how to take the SD clips offline - bu I don't want to transcode the entire tape - just the clip portions I use in the FCP timeline. How whod I do that?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]