FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cutting a trailer from DVD source of SD program for You Tube - best workflow?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jayasri (Joyce) Hart
Cutting a trailer from DVD source of SD program for You Tube - best workflow?
on May 20, 2013 at 12:43:26 am

I can't go back to the DVCam source tapes, so I am planning to do an MPEG Streamclip conversion of material from a DVD of the finished program and cut the trailer in FCP 6.

The You Tube video of about 7 minutes will be H.264/AAC in a .mp4 container as recommended, but I'm not sure what project settings to use.

Should I convert the mpeg2 to Quicktime, cut and render in Pro Res and then export to Compressor for encoding with the You Tube settings (Fast Open and Deinterlacing turned on}? Is that too much recompression? If so, what are my options?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Jayasri (Joyce) Hart
Los Angeles, USA
htp://home.earthlink.net/~hartfilms

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Cutting a trailer from DVD source of SD program for You Tube - best workflow?
on May 20, 2013 at 5:03:35 am

Hi Jasyasri,
With MPGStreamclip, convert the MPEG-2 to Prores or Apple 8b uncompressed.
Size: 856x480.
Deinterlace while converting.
rafael

Return to posts index

Jayasri (Joyce) Hart
Re: Cutting a trailer from DVD source of SD program for You Tube - best workflow?
on May 20, 2013 at 5:47:15 am

Thank you, Rafael. That helps a lot.

Jayasri (Joyce) Hart
Los Angeles, USA

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 20, 2013 at 9:42:18 am

Well, that size is correct if the video is 16x9.
If the picture is 4x3, the size should be: 640x480.
rafael

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on May 20, 2013 at 1:23:00 pm

if you are not doing any further colour grading,
you could convert to Prores LT
there would be next to no difference in image quality.

but then again, Prores422 would not be too hard on your system.

nick

Return to posts index

Jayasri (Joyce) Hart
on May 20, 2013 at 3:34:09 pm

Thanks for the tip, Nick. Yes, I might have to do some color grading if any material from the existing trailer needs to be incorporated. I'm going to start with Apple 8-bit Uncompressed, one of Rafael's suggestions. Never worked with that conversion in this workflow, so I want to see what it's like. I have only 6GB RAM memory on an 8-core Mac Pro, so I'll have to render as I go along. Will report back on my experience.

Jayasri (Joyce) Hart
Los Angeles, USA

Return to posts index

Jayasri (Joyce) Hart
on May 20, 2013 at 3:40:43 pm

Yes, Rafael. I guessed that you were thinking 16x9 since that's what all videos are now. This dates back to early 2000s and is 4x3 ie. 640x480. Thanks for the caveat.

Jayasri (Joyce) Hart
Los Angeles, USA

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on May 20, 2013 at 4:30:56 pm

8bit uncompressed is total overkill.
you are making things difficult for yourself for no real benefit.

Prores is the way to go.

even if you do convert to Uncompressed, you should not need to render unless the footage is in a non-compatible timeline, in which case, why do it??

nick

Return to posts index

Jayasri (Joyce) Hart
on May 20, 2013 at 4:38:04 pm

My main worry was the amount of recompression involved in the workflow, so I thought starting with an 8-bit Uncompressed project would help. Rafael, can you weigh in with your reason for including that suggestion along with Pro Res? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 21, 2013 at 2:13:28 am

8/10b Uncompressed are the only codec that won't produce further re-compression.
If you were editing HD, i wouldn't recommend that codec due to the big files you would get.
Working with a 7 minutes 8b Unc clip shouldn't be any problem unless you have your media on a FW400 HD o so.
DVDs MPEG-2 are 8b/420, so the perfect codec for this conversion would be an 8b Unc 420, but doesn't exist.
8b Unc 422 is the closet to the perfect codec.
rafael

Return to posts index

Jayasri (Joyce) Hart
on May 21, 2013 at 5:05:14 am

Thank you, Nick and Rafael. I converted to 8-bit Uncompressed for the reasons you give, Rafael, saved to an internal RAID volume, and since the cut ended up even shorter, processing was no problem. What is interesting is that a same-as-source self-contained QT export from FCP 6 ended up looking better compressed to mp4/H.264 in Squeeze than "Export to Compressor"--and produced a smaller file. I used CBR Max datarate 2500 for both. You Tube is processing. I'll know the final result soon.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 21, 2013 at 8:23:47 am

Codecs are basic sets of rules and allow many variations.
Probably the default H264 specs on Squeeze are better fine tuned than in Apple's codec.
Don't use CBR. Limit the data rate and always set Key-Frames=AUTO and Multipass.
rafael

Return to posts index

Jayasri (Joyce) Hart
on May 21, 2013 at 4:39:29 pm

True--I am beginning to understand codecs. Before I read your message, I read Shane Ross on the subject and tried his workflow for mp4:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1175068

MPEG Streamclip produced the best result!

As for CBR, I thought that since my short video didn't have too many variations in video material (eg. high action, motion graphics etc) I could get a faster encode and the same quality.

Now that I have your attention, let me ask about a You Tube tip I read in Jan Ozer's article "Encoding for You Tube How to Get the Best Results"(http://www.streamingmedia.com) In the footnote, I found: "It is ideal to use constant quality encoding. This will let you create a high quality variable bitrate file, at the speed of a single pass. It will maintain a consistent quality throughout the file, rather than trying to allocate bits to an arbitrary bitrate, which can easily undershoot or overshoot, and with two pass, take extra long to create."

The tip seems to be from Colleen Henry, Video Hacker, Google Video Infrastructure. I'm not sure what "constant quality encoding" refers to. Your answer might be helpful to other Forum folks.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 21, 2013 at 5:50:20 pm

[Jayasri (Joyce) Hart] "This will let you create a high quality variable bitrate file, at the speed of a single pass. It will maintain a consistent quality throughout the file, rather than trying to allocate bits to an arbitrary bitrate, which can easily undershoot or overshoot, and with two pass, take extra long to create.""
Well, but is not all about allocating bits.
To get good quality, as important as the data rate are the key-frames.
You may know which is the correct data rate but you have not an idea of the optimal sequence of key-frames your movie needs to get the best compression.
Multipass process will set the proper amount of key-frames and get the best out of the data rate.
rafael

Return to posts index

Jayasri (Joyce) Hart
on May 21, 2013 at 6:43:32 pm

Thanks, Rafael. This is important for us to understand.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jun 18, 2013 at 10:57:43 am

I just had a similar job not too long ago.
I did some side by side tests and I can tell you for sure ProRes LT for this is way enough, even for Color Grading.
I also realized, that MPeG Streamclip is good and fast, but has a tendency to darken the footage and shift the colors a bit. Just take that into account.

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]