FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is doing heavy editing and rendering with a WD My Book II a bad idea?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Is doing heavy editing and rendering with a WD My Book II a bad idea?
on May 17, 2013 at 9:44:12 pm

I need to get a 6tb drive to do post production on my documentary on FCP7. This will entail a lot of editing and rendering. I normally use G-tech. That said, the Western Digital 6tb drives are around 200 bucks cheaper. I'm thinking of this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=757710&is=REG&Q=&A=d...

Is using this a bad idea? Will I be much happier if I just pony up the extra money or can I use this one and save the dough?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Is doing heavy editing and rendering with a WD My Book II a bad idea?
on May 18, 2013 at 5:50:49 am

Personally I will keep away from WD for the rest of my life.
I've bought 4 WD hard drives and three out of the four died after just few weeks of use and without any hard work.
Rafael

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Is doing heavy editing and rendering with a WD My Book II a bad idea?
on May 18, 2013 at 4:43:07 pm

There are horror stories for every brand HDD, the thing is, they all suck and will fail. So have a backup system in place. I have personally had very good experience with Western Digital (primarily buying bare drive Caviar Blacks).

It looks like the drive you linked to uses the WD Green drives, which are "intellipower" and run somewhere between 5400 and 7200 rpm. Not usually recommended for video work, but I'm sure at the end of the day it will do the job.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]