FORUMS: list search recent posts

XML with kinda bad timecode

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Brill
XML with kinda bad timecode
on May 17, 2013 at 8:37:54 pm

So I receive XML's from Editors to prep for grading in Resolve and I've noticed that when they use multicam the clips seem to have an error with their timecode. When I matchframe from the shot in the timeline I can see the start of the master clip in Final Cut doesn't match the timecode of the quicktime when I look at it in quicktime 7. In QT 7 there is more to the shot at the beginning. The timecodes match when it comes to the part of the shot that is used however. The clips do not have any aux timecode or anything.

In FCP sync wise everything is fine but when I export an XML of that timeline to Resolve everything is slipped. I'm not sure what program I should start trying to problem solve with first but it seems like Final Cut. I have media managed to make an offline after I have reconnected to camera original footage but the clips still don't start at the same spot of the QTs.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: XML with kinda bad timecode
on May 17, 2013 at 9:03:26 pm

Is the footage at 29.97? Could it be the difference between Drop Frame and Non Drop Frame time code?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

James Brill
on May 17, 2013 at 9:12:52 pm

Everything is usually Alexa at 23.98 and the relink is usually just from LUT'd pro res to 444 Log

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 17, 2013 at 9:25:34 pm

[James Brill] "Everything is usually Alexa at 23.98 "

If you really mean "usually" and not "always", double-checking frame rates is good. It's a fast way to eliminate one potential cause.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

James Brill
on May 17, 2013 at 9:30:13 pm

For this edit it's all 23.98. The only difference is going from HD to 2k.

Frame rates aside why would the master clips not be as long as the quicktimes they are connected to?

Return to posts index

James Brill
on May 17, 2013 at 11:45:13 pm

After a couple media manager tricks still nothing will make the xml work. I just exported an EDL instead of the XML and that is working. I guess thats what I'll have to do from now on.

I'm suspecting something is happening when the editors commit their multi cam edits and something wrong makes it's way into the XML. EDL's must be too simple to fail in this case.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 18, 2013 at 1:39:44 am

Glad you found it. Sorry I wasn't any help. I rarely work with XML's, and it sure smelled like a timecode problem.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on May 18, 2013 at 2:34:58 am

one angle of the multiclip will usually be shorter than the other,
i wonder if that is the problem?

however this issue sounds like the classic FCP subclip issue where it gets confused between the start of the media file and the start of the subclip.
the error or amount of slippage is the difference between the two.

if its a multiclip issue, Media Manager can be used:
- create offline
- dont delete unused
- base media file names on what ever is best for you
- and i've forgotten the command name, but there is a check box for taking multiclips back to the basic clip... ah yes, do NOT check "include multiclip angles"

collapsing multiclips does not do the trick, must be media manager.

for subclips, select all in timeline, Modify Menu > Remove Subclip Limits.

for subclips inside multiclips, you might have to go through both processes before making the XML.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]