FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mini Displayport and Audio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Richard
Mini Displayport and Audio
on May 17, 2013 at 12:41:17 am

I've bought a ATI Radeon HD 5870 Graphics Upgrade Kit for my 2008 Mac Pro, and it has 2 mini displayports that are supposedly able to handle audio, up to 8 channels. My problem is that picture comes thru great, but no audio whatsoever, and no signal if I try to run it through a surround receiver.

The idea is to be able to see and hear a mix on a big box without mixdown and burning discs for every cut in a separate room from the editing chair, and HDMI and the 5870 were supposed to do that, anyone have any experience with this problem or can clue me in to what I'm doing wrong, besides not buying a new computer?

Running 10.8.3 on 08 Macpro quad core, with FCP 7 AND X.
CR

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
Re: Mini Displayport and Audio
on May 17, 2013 at 3:22:33 am

I wouldn't think you can't hear audio from a video card.
Maybe I am missunderstaning but you are saying that no audio comes from the mini display port of your video card?

Return to posts index

Craig Richard
on May 17, 2013 at 4:09:35 am

Thanks for your response Daniel, yes, I can not seem to get audio to speaker, or even to the sys. preferences sound panel to select hdmi as the output preference.

I have an early 08 Mac Pro identified as a 3,1 running 10.8.3, I put in a 5870 graphics card so I can run FCPX with 10g memory and it has improved all, except for this.

My macbook pro running 10.7.5 has worked perfectly with sound, now what????????

Crap. Any and all help, HELP HELP HELP...

C.

get audio

Return to posts index

Craig Richard
on May 17, 2013 at 9:37:03 am

Thanks for your response Daniel, yes, I can not seem to get audio to speaker, or even to the sys. preferences sound panel to select hdmi as the output preference.

I have an early 08 Mac Pro identified as a 3,1 running 10.8.3, I put in a 5870 graphics card so I can run FCPX with 10g memory and it has improved all, except for this.

My macbook pro running 10.7.5 has worked perfectly with sound using the same adapter, now what????????

Nuts, any and all help, HELP HELP HELP...

C.R.

get audio

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 17, 2013 at 4:01:39 am

It may or may not be capable of audio, not sure. But that's not what the 5870 and graphics cards in general are designed to do.

Why wouldn't you buy this instead? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blackmagic-design-Intensity-Pro-HD-Capture-Card-/18...

That's an actual video/audio in and out device. It supports interlacing, the proper gamma, and of course audio. It's the same price or cheaper than a 5870.

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
on May 17, 2013 at 12:52:32 pm

Reading a little more it seems your model of Mac Pro doesn't support audio form mini display port.
Still you have a mini plug entrance and a optical one.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4241?viewlocale=en_US

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]