FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 edited project, go offline or?? please advice

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrija Gvozdic Michl
FCP7 edited project, go offline or?? please advice
on May 15, 2013 at 10:14:38 pm

Hi everybody,

I just came on a project (feature film) as an assistant editor and stumbled upon a big problem in the editing room. They have an almost edited film but FCP7 keeps crashing because the external hard drives are too slow (3 G-DRIVES; 2 connected via esata; transfer speed 145-155 mb/s, 1 via FW800;ts 86 mb/s).
The media is Alexa's ProRess4444 and FCP keeps reporting that the disks are too slow...
Because the producer doesn't have money to buy a better hardware solution (ie. http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-speed-es-pro)
Do we offline the whole project and edit to the end or do we buy some hardware that can speed up the data transfer. I have experience in proxy editing from the start of a project but no experience in offlining a project near the end; 20 project files; 100 sequences...
Thanks for all of your advice.

Andrija Gvozdic Michl
tel: +38591 530 4780
Freelance film & tv editor,
video prod. coordinator

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP7 edited project, go offline or?? please advice
on May 15, 2013 at 10:47:15 pm

Look at it this way:

How much is the new drive? Does it equal the amount of time needed (editor time...you rate) to convert all of the footage to ProRes Proxy, relink. Then relink back to the master footage in the end? And test this workflow before you start? If it is less, then that might be the answer.

But wait...this is near the END? Trying to offline/online now might throw a wrench in the works. Open to too much possible relinking issues IMHO.

Did the drives ALWAYS crash, during the entire project? or only recently? If recently...it's because they are getting too full. Get another drive to offload the render files onto. The drives, to retain optimal speed, need to have 15-20% of their space free. A 1TB drive needs 150-200GB empty.

Or...edit this way. It will slow you down. When they complain that you are too slow, say "it isn't us...it's the equipment. We can't do our job properly with what we currently have. We need X."

Blows me away when producers won't provide the proper tools needed to get an edit done. And it's always post that suffers. Do you think they would have gone with a cheaper lens on set? Or shot to a cheaper recorder that recorded ProRes 422, and not HQ? Or rented a cheaper camera? No...all out during production, and then "oh, yeah, we have to edit this. Sorry, no money."

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrija Gvozdic Michl
on May 15, 2013 at 11:18:26 pm

Thx for the great reply!

TRUE! TRUE! TRUE! The editing room always suffers...
I think you are right about the drives (not enough free space).
Do you think a new esata pci card would help? (i.e. http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/MXPCIE6GRS4E/)
Or do you have any other suggestions for the esata card model?
We would connect the existing 3 drives (G-DRIVE) and a new drive through the e sata ports...
I think I can get the production to buy the extra drive and esata card :)
Or as you said: "When they complain that you are too slow, say "it isn't us...it's the equipment. We can't do our job properly with what we currently have..."

Thx for your reply and advice!

Andrija Gvozdic Michl
video prod. coordinator

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 16, 2013 at 6:36:40 am

A new eSATA card won't free up space on the drives. Just get another drive...connect it to the eSATA card, or even FW800.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Andrija Gvozdic Michl
on May 16, 2013 at 8:54:11 am

I know that it won't free up space. I was thinking about the data transfer speed between the drives and the computer. Because te FW 800 ts is about 80 mb/s and the esata about 150 mb/s. That's why I think all the drives pluged into the esata card will work better and ofcourse freeing up space on the drives as you suggested.

Thx!

Andrija Gvozdic Michl
video prod. coordinator

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 16, 2013 at 3:43:43 pm

Ah, yes. If you need more eSATA ports, then a new card is in order.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]