FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 6 will not play when i'm copying files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sal Sainvil
FCP 6 will not play when i'm copying files
on May 15, 2013 at 7:27:56 pm

what up,

I have an interesting issue that I can't seem to solve. when i have a project open, IF i start to copy any random file to anywhere… FCP will not play the timeline until its done copying. I'll get the spinning wheel until the copying is done. It doesn't crash, it just waits? it wasn't like this before though. about 2-3 months ago my graphics card finally gave up. so we had that replaced and in the panic/process the hard drive was also wiped clean with a fresh new OS installed.

I don't know if this is an issue with the iMac or FCP, but it just will not play until the copying is done which can be annoying when i'm copying files that are 10gig+. other programs will continue to function just fine which leads me to believe that it's a FCP issue and not the imac.
any thoughts as to what might be the issue?

Stats:
Imac 24-inch, Early 2008
Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 6 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS 512 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)
running FCP 6.06

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: FCP 6 will not play when i'm copying files
on May 15, 2013 at 9:05:56 pm

Hi Sal

My guess is that this is simply a hard drive speed issue. It sounds like you are trying to copy files on the same drive as your FCP media - is this the case ?

If so its almost certainly that your HD (s) are just not quick enough to perform both functions simultaneously. Can you give more info on your storage set-up please ? That will help identify the issue.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal Symphony 6.5 FCP7
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini Symphony 6.5 FCP7

Return to posts index

Sal Sainvil
on May 15, 2013 at 10:50:31 pm

That makes since actually. I hadn't thought of that.
yes the current set of vids that i'm editing are on an external Biggest S2S drive, which is plugged into another computer, which I am accessing through our network, while copying a large file off of my desktop onto yet another computer.
that may be it right there, lol.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on May 16, 2013 at 4:15:24 pm

Its not drive related. I have the same issue on only one computer, out of 100's of other ive worked on. Tried with many different drives. It used to work as normal, and then oneday BAM, beachball until the copying is done.

Also have never found a an answer.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - The Esquire Network - NBC/Uni

Return to posts index

Sal Sainvil
on May 16, 2013 at 9:55:46 pm

ok, is it also an early 2008 iMac?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]