FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA Kona output loses sync after every orange segment in Unlimited RT mode

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew Lahat
AJA Kona output loses sync after every orange segment in Unlimited RT mode
on May 15, 2013 at 4:23:00 am

We haven't used FCP in a while but now we're dealing with a project and a client and face this:

When reaching an "unlimited" (orange) segment, frames are skipped as they should, but the rest of the timeline from that point on will be out of sync (Kona is 0.5 to 1 second behind the computer and audio, even though audio is playing through the Kona). Practically, the operator has to hit stop and start after every single orange segment in order to watch his sequence.

We tried different (Nehalem) computers, different cards (Kona3 and LHi), different (ProresHQ) footage, different storage, and different OS (10.5.8 and 10.6.8) and AJA drivers (8.1.2 and 10.1 correspondingly). Same behavior every time.
I have quality set to Dynamic and tried frame rate in Full as well as Dynamic with same results.

Is this normal behavior? Have you experienced it? I was unable to find any online references to this. Kona cards are designed to work in unlimited RT with FCP7, and losing sync isn't how Unlimited RT was designed. Our Blackmagic card stutters in orange segments but never loses sync.

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
Re: AJA Kona output loses sync after every orange segment in Unlimited RT mode
on May 15, 2013 at 3:56:10 pm

Pretty much normal. My Kona card does the same thing. Render then play.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 15, 2013 at 6:31:32 pm

To get a little more RT, you can go into render settings and set the render quality to 50% or so. I do this at times with large long projects where everything needs to render just to play. Just don't forget to set it back to full quality before render/output.

Return to posts index

Drew Lahat
on May 15, 2013 at 6:54:44 pm

Bret, are you talking about the Compressor/codec in the sequence settings? That should only change the render quality/speed once you render, not the RT determination of what's green/orange/gray etc. Also, we use ProRes(HQ) and last time I checked you couldn't even change the quality bar for the ProRes codecs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]