FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting Canon 5D mark3 CR2 Stills to a format optimal for FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Schneider
Converting Canon 5D mark3 CR2 Stills to a format optimal for FCP
on May 14, 2013 at 7:36:29 pm

Hi all! So I shot A LOT of stills (Thousands) all for the purpose of stringing them together for a time-lapse. I used an intervalometer on a Canon 5D mark 3, and captured them as RAW cr2 files. The final destination for them is a Final Cut pro sequence.
Now i have a few questions: What should i convert them to, and how should I convert them, for best use in a FCP project? And also, I heard theres a better way to deal with stills that are destined for "time-lapse". Is there a program that specializes or simplifies this process? Something that throws all the stills together and makes a single time-lapse file??
Thank you so much for your time and help!!!!

Kyle

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Converting Canon 5D mark3 CR2 Stills to a format optimal for FCP
on May 14, 2013 at 8:43:45 pm

FCP legacy does not handle lots of stills very well - never has, never will. And, it neither FCP nor Quicktime can deal with RAW cr2 files.

So, you wil first have to use an app to batch convert the RAW files to something manageable, such TIFFs at approx 1920 X 1080, then bring those into QT Player as image sequences, and export as a Pro Res 422 video file.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Kyle Schneider
on May 14, 2013 at 9:54:38 pm

Ok, cool, thank you! So in Quicktime i can string them all together as an "image sequence" and export a single file?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 15, 2013 at 1:34:37 am

Right.
First you need to convert them in Photoshop.
rafael

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on May 15, 2013 at 5:44:01 pm

Kyle, for a step up you could use After Effects. This does a great job with the images and you can also get good results time remapping/warping (speeding up or slowing down) the timelapse. Also, with FCP limitations on pixels dimensions, nothing over 4,000 total I believe, you could batch size these with Photoshop to something like a 2K or 4K size, which would allow you to push in and add movement to the images. this is a little more complex, but yields great results.

friend of mine did these.
http://www.tylersparks.com/page1

OSX 10.7.5 with a 3.39 Ghz Intel Core i7 on a built up Hackintosh
16 GB of RAM with OSX on SSD, (2) internal HDDs RAID'd 1 for project files and External RAID 5 for all project assets (media, GFX, stills, etc.)

Return to posts index

Kyle Schneider
on May 15, 2013 at 5:53:14 pm

Oh cool! Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]