FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow with Canon EOS C500

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Claudia Wilson
Workflow with Canon EOS C500
on May 14, 2013 at 5:41:10 pm

Hi

I`m working on the post of a project filmed with the Canon EOS C500 in 1080p, I was told in the beginning that that camera delivers de 1080p clips in Apple Pro Ress, but now I`m told from various sources that it delivers them in a strange format, probably mxf, also told that a lot of people have had trouble transcoding those into apple pro res to edit them. I was wondering if anyone here could give me some advices or heads up about the most optimal workflow to edit those files in Final Cut Pro 7.

Thanks a lot.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Workflow with Canon EOS C500
on May 14, 2013 at 6:33:16 pm

The Canon C500 doesn't record full res video internally. It relies on external recorders for that. The AJA KiPro 4444 for example, was designed with this explicit purpose. But other recorders work as well. Those recorders can record ProRes QT, or DNxHD MXF...it all depends on how they are set up. It also records proxy, or low res quality, clips onto SD cards in built in slots...for immediate offline editing.

MXF is not a strange format. It's the main format Avid uses for media, and is what Panasonic P2 cameras record, various other Canon cameras, some Sony cameras. It's a common video standard.

Now, if they know you are going to edit in FCP...they should be shooting to a format that you can use, like ProRes. It'd be very odd for them to record MXF if you are going to edit with FCP...that's just adding a big layer of complexity to post. All roads lead to post...they need to know what will be used to edit, and aim to acquire what works for that platform.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Montserrat Gómez
Re: Workflow with Canon EOS C500
on Oct 11, 2013 at 10:57:30 pm

Hi Shane,

I just directed my thesis film (I am a student in Mexico and former student of VFS), and unfortunately things didn't work out schedule-wise with the editor I was working with, so I have been left with a project that has a similar problem. In preproduction we did not take into account that shooting with the C500 in MXF would turn out to be problematic when editing the material in FCP7.

Working now with a new editor, we are faced with the problem that the workflow the old editor had picked is an offline/online one and he already merged all the clips in a sequence with 960x54 (the original footage is 1080).

We are about to start editing but have not figured out yet how to reconform the media to HQ since the files are merged.

Any ideas of how we could do this?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]