FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reducing Echo (I have two hours of good audio in same room, the recorder cut out for 2 minutes)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant Strac
Reducing Echo (I have two hours of good audio in same room, the recorder cut out for 2 minutes)
on May 13, 2013 at 7:47:15 pm

I was filming a TV show with three cameras in a kitchen. Everyone was lav'd and sounded fantastic but then someone hit the Zoom recorder off for about one minute. I have posted about reducing echo before but I'm hoping this is a different case. I know its NEXT to impossible.

I have three tracks of room audio from the cameras and ALOT of the good Zoom H4 audio. It cuts out for about one minute and then it turns back on. I have room tone on all tracks and I'm hoping someone can suggest a technique I am un aware of.

I went about three minutes before the Zoom cuts out and brought in the camera audio with a two minute long fade before and after the section where the zoom stops. So I have a two minute fade in and out of the camera audio while I then fade the zoom out and in. This way I have a smooth fade out of good audio and the bad audio comes in to diminish the abrupt change. I then removed the room tone of all the camera audio and took alot of time doing it on the section without zoom so it sounds clear.

BUT I have this echo its slight and makes the room sound hollow. I was thinking maybe if I take room tone from the good audio and drop it in to the bad maybe this would help. I took about hour playing with the EQ and found a REALLY nice balance but now everything sounds weak.

I want to add bass or something to reduce that hollow reverb'y sound. Again I have alot of good audio and do you know anything I can do with that??

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Reducing Echo (I have two hours of good audio in same room, the recorder cut out for 2 minutes)
on May 13, 2013 at 9:18:02 pm

is it really echo and did you confirm that by sliding the audio a frame or two forward and back?

Return to posts index

Grant Strac
Re: Reducing Echo (I have two hours of good audio in same room, the recorder cut out for 2 minutes)
on May 13, 2013 at 9:19:23 pm

Yes. The zoom cuts out for one minute so I only have camera audio. I deleted all the tracks but the wide shot audio because that was the closest to the talents. Then I deleted it down to a mono because it sounded better mono panned center than stereo

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 14, 2013 at 2:44:59 am

This is the best processor I have heard to reduce room ambience/ echo

http://www.zynaptiq.com/unveil/

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 14, 2013 at 12:57:54 pm

My stock answer forever used to be that it was next to impossible....but I read about the plugin that Michael suggested...

Please do try it and report back. Sounds amazing.

Return to posts index

Grant Strac
on May 14, 2013 at 8:22:30 pm

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my query. I downloaded that program "zynaptiq: unveil" and I tried it out. Honestly I spent three hours working on the audio in soundtrack doing noise removals, noise gate, and graphic eq, and other tricks and it sounded significantly better.

I'm not sure if Unveil being a demo or if I'm not using it correctly but there was a small change but not very good. I was surprised I couldn't tell a difference I had to turn the volume up super loud to hear change. It was a stand along program not a plug in so maybe the demo is the problem but diligence & playing around with filters trying to brush off the cobwebs from my certification class several years ago yielded the best result.

I took all six tracks from the three cameras. Deleted a/b's on all of them to make it mono. Then did a expansion of all the audio in the file to stretch up the frequencies and did a room tone removal (I ALWAYS do a 30 second room tone before every single take).

Deleted the expander. Opened the frequency spectrum, right clicked the graph and changed the graphical layout to show me as much frequency as possible. Deleted about 20 solid line sounds that ran across the files (power line hums, and other constant sounds. I really took my time with that.)

Then spend a serious amount of time on the Graphic EQ on each track just playing and THAT is what made it sound great. Its not perfect but with some fades and alternative editing the graphic eq saved my bum. I plan to spend three hours tomorrow re-doing the graphic eq because I think I can get it even better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]