FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP - 5DmkII - TV 4/3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Giuliano Bausano
FCP - 5DmkII - TV 4/3
on May 13, 2013 at 9:50:29 am

Hi everyone,
I am asking some of your kind suggestions please.

I did a small 30" spot with 5DmkII and i edited directly the files.mov in FCP because was a very short and fast editing assigment (almost no editing required), now they asking me a file in Mpeg2 4/3 format for a local TV (btw i am in italy) is it correct to use compressor which fit into a 4/3 file.m2t which looks streched?

more info:
i did a lot of DVD and bluray menu with Encore before but mostly of them was done for weddings videos and i usually did AppleProres conversion first.. to be honest it's the first time i do some work for tv standards, obviously i did some research first so i used compressor to convert the export file.mov i got from FCP, into a 4/3 file.m2t but it looks streched (it's logical, you may say) but i guess if it is really what thay want? So streched? Should it be PAL interlaced too? Please help me to clear some mess in my workflow :)

Best regards.
rISO3D

oh i forgot i am using FCP 7 not FCP X

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: FCP - 5DmkII - TV 4/3
on May 13, 2013 at 11:18:41 am

I don't think your client will want a distorted picture.
To put a 16x9 picture on a 4/3 frames without distortion, you have two solutions;
- Fill the 4x3 frame, in which case you need to crop both sides (left&right) of the picture.
- Fit the frame, so the picture won't be cropped but displayed adding black bars on top and under (letter-boxed).
You have to decide which of both formats you want.
rafael

Return to posts index

Giuliano Bausano
on May 13, 2013 at 11:38:57 am

Thanks a lot for your answer, i guess i will try to fill the frame, 788x576 should be ok?
Wat about the Mpeg2 please? is it just like a file for a DVD?

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on May 13, 2013 at 12:23:26 pm

Hi Giulano

4x3 PAL is 720x576 - it sounds like what you created before was anamorphic hence the distortion. As Rafael rightly says you can either provide a letterboxed version (black bar top and bottom) or a centre cut out version (full frame but you lose the sides). My guess is that they would prefer the full frame option as sometimes broadcasters are not keen on letterboxes pictures.

PAL can be interlaced or progressive, I would create a 4x3 interlaced sequence, you can happily edit your progressive material into that. FCP will letterbox 16x9 material by default but just expand to fill the frame (losing sides) You can adjust left right a little if something important is lost.
You need to check caption safe area too - if you have graphics they may need adjusting so they are 4x3 safe.

Did they specify any more detail than just 'MPEG' ? - might be worth double checking the spec they require for that. Usually broadcasters publish a delivery requirements document that should give you all the information you need to comply with delivery.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal Symphony 6.5 FCP7
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini Symphony 6.5 FCP7

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 13, 2013 at 1:49:35 pm

As Neil s, you should ask for the proper specs for the ".m2t", because normally this should allows higher data rate than the DVDs standard MPEG-2 (.m2v).
To be able to rise the data rate, you must select "Stream Usage: Generic".
rafael

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 13, 2013 at 2:53:03 pm

You probably did not compose your shots nor create graphics with the 4x3 aspect ratio in mind.

You may find that you will need to reposition shots horizontally to include the key action in the shot. You may also have to recompose graphics to fit within the new aspect ratio.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]