FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 Constant crashing!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse Kane
FCP 7 Constant crashing!
on May 13, 2013 at 12:05:37 am

Hello all, Im not that computer savvy,

I am using FCP7 on 10.7.4, I have used this for quite some time and suddenly my project is crashing pretty much every time I enter trim mode. I have reeinstalled the software and still have the same issues. Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: FCP 7 Constant crashing!
on May 13, 2013 at 12:26:34 am

Please do not give us your crash report. If you really want to know what is causing go to http://www.digitalrebellion.com.

They have an app that will trash your preferences. For further troubleshooting you can purchase pro Maintenance Tools.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Jesse Kane
on May 13, 2013 at 1:06:31 am

Sorry about that, I removed it.

I have tried digital rebellion, I still crash pretty much every time I click between two clips to edit.

Return to posts index

William Carr
on May 13, 2013 at 3:46:29 am

Could be corrupted clips, and/or you are editing with GOP codec.

Return to posts index

Jesse Kane
on May 13, 2013 at 4:40:06 am

I'm not sure what a GOP codec is, I am running apple ProRes 422 clips.

I have run a program to detect corrupt media and everthing seems fine.

Return to posts index

William Carr
on May 13, 2013 at 5:37:42 am

Pro Res is good, made for FCP.

If only those two clips are causing the problem, can you re-ingest or re-transcode them from the original format? (Assuming they were originally an mpeg camera record format or from tape.) Even though they seem fine to the program you ran there may be something it's not seeing that FCP is.

Return to posts index

Jesse Kane
on May 13, 2013 at 5:47:32 am

It's not just the 2 clips, it's all of them. I am being told that FCP doesn't like OS 10.7... and I didn't have problems while running the older OS, so am thinking of going back.

The footage was R3D, transcoded to 422.

Return to posts index

William Carr
on May 13, 2013 at 5:53:50 am

I'm running FCP 7 on 10.7.5 and have been for a while on a 2010-era MPRO w/ FW800 drives. Never any problems with ProRes, so there may be some other anomaly involved, something else that's changed if you have used transcoded R3D clips before with no problems. Some other tax on the system.

Return to posts index

Jesse Kane
on May 13, 2013 at 6:02:27 am

Thank you.

As I mentioned, I'm not computer savvy, is there a way to tell what the problem may be, or a place to take the computer to diagnose?

Return to posts index

Jon Chappell
on May 13, 2013 at 6:03:07 am

Are you running FCP 7.0.3? It's the only version that is stable for me on Lion.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metdata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...

Return to posts index

Jesse Kane
on May 13, 2013 at 6:04:50 am

Yes, it is 7.0.3

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 15, 2013 at 2:49:01 am

How large is your FCP project file? Once a project approaches 100megs it will become very unstable in my experience.

Return to posts index

Jesse Kane
on May 16, 2013 at 12:01:13 am

Hi there, it is actually quite large... 264MB. I tried deleting everything from the project aside from the current cut sequence and it only went down to 227MB. Is there anything else I can do?
Thank you.

Return to posts index

Jon Chappell
on May 16, 2013 at 12:10:10 am

You may need to do a Save As to cause a significant reduction in size after removing elements from the project.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metdata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...

Return to posts index

William Carr
on May 16, 2013 at 12:15:36 am

What I do is open a fresh project and paste in the sequences and bins I need for that stage of the job. It's not uncommon to have multiple projects for one job in order to separate big chunks. Just re-saving, or sometimes even saving as, does not "de-install" all the prior stuff in there.

Return to posts index

Jesse Kane
on May 16, 2013 at 1:15:42 am

That worked! thank you everyone... project went down in size and hasn't crashed yet. THANK YOU!!!!

Return to posts index

Ed Homer
on Jan 29, 2017 at 11:56:52 pm

FCP crashing every 30 min or so. Mac Pro early 2008 8 core. Fresh install El Capitan and updated FCP Studio 3 today. Just setting it up and checking things out, so not a lot of media involved. FCP having issues with El Capitan?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 30, 2017 at 3:49:58 am

[Ed Homer] "FCP having issues with El Capitan?"

WELL, the last OS to officially support FCP 7 was 10.6.8. Many of the extra apps that came with FCS 3...Compressor, Color, Motion...stopped working in 10.9. And you are trying to run FCP 7 in 10.11...that's FIVE OS updates past the one officially supported by Apple. Every time a new OS comes out, it moves further away from full functionality...as Apple doesn't write the OS to make sure it continues to work with FCP 7. It's only making sure it works with FCX, the current edit system it supports.

So you are treading on thin ice with that OS and version of FCP...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]