FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aspect Ratio problem when Exporting

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samuel Hays
Aspect Ratio problem when Exporting
on May 12, 2013 at 7:19:19 am

Hey, I'm trying to export a video and I can't figure out how to maintain the original aspect ratio. I'm still playing around with different setting combos, but hopefully someone here is smarter than me.

The original aspect ratio (from my .mp4 video) was 1280 x 688. This source video does not have black matte bars. When I try to export the video (using QT Conversion, custom 1280 x 688 dimensions), the resulting exported video, for some unknown reason, has black bars, thereby distorting my image.

It seems like no matter what settings I use, these black bars appear out of nowhere. I mean, it doesn't really matter whether or not the video has black bars - maintaining the aspect ration is the important thing - I just don't understand what the deal is...

Hopefully that's enough info. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

P.S. - I'm using Final Cut Pro 7, so ya know....

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Aspect Ratio problem when Exporting
on May 12, 2013 at 9:27:12 am

Probably your footage is 1280x720, which is the standard.
You may be getting somewhere 1280x688, which probably are the displayed pixels.
Export 1280x720 Squared pixels.
rafael

Return to posts index

Samuel Hays
on May 12, 2013 at 11:00:30 am

Thanks for the reply. You may be right, I'll have to try 'square pixels' tomorrow. Do I have to do that under 'Export > QuickTime Movie'?

Also, if it helps to clarify my situation, here's a screenshot. On top is a video exported with a 'HD 1280 x 720 16:9' setting, using QT conversion. On the bottom is the original video with the info box. It looks like the source video was 720p, but it says 'actual size 688,' so I don't know....

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 12, 2013 at 1:54:52 pm

Have a look to the screen grab again.
Yeap, to the QT Player Info window.
The Info say that your footage is 1988x1080, but the format says 1280x688 and the displayed size (current size) is 640x344, so you better don't trust much QT Player, and instead you better have a look to the picture size in FC's Browser.
rafael

Return to posts index

Samuel Hays
on May 12, 2013 at 8:10:04 pm

OK, it looks like I finally figured it out.

For some strange reason, FCP was automatically distorting the source video when I dragged it into the timeline. But I couldn't detect it because the canvas window was set to "correct aspect ratio" and so it looked just fine to the eye. All I had to do was go 'Viewer > Motion > Distort," and change the aspect ratio from '-12.5' (still have NO idea why it did that), to '0'. The exported video looks fine, so I guess that was it.

...Figures that it was a simple fix. Although now I will have to tediously alter the aspect ratio on 100+ shots!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 13, 2013 at 1:43:04 am

[Samuel Hays] "...Figures that it was a simple fix. Although now I will have to tediously alter the aspect ratio on 100+ shots!"
Select all the stuff on the sequence and left-click Remove Attribute > Basic motion + Distort.
rafael

Return to posts index

Samuel Hays
on May 13, 2013 at 3:21:05 am

Thanks for the tip.

Return to posts index

Stewy Johnson
on Jan 22, 2015 at 11:43:54 am

Thanks you guys saved my life.

Return to posts index