FORUMS: list search recent posts

EDL from Avid issues (exporting bin names rather than file names)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Waldock
EDL from Avid issues (exporting bin names rather than file names)
on May 9, 2013 at 3:50:31 pm

Hi there - I'm looking for some help with an EDL export from Avid. My company has been given a load of old projects from different companies to archive. All the footage/projects were dropped into a drive and hugely disorganised, and lots of the MXF files weren't transferred.

From what little I know of Avid, the MXF files are how videos are read by the programme (correct me if I'm wrong!) and so are necessary to relink. Therefore, because they haven't been transferred I can't relink the files properly.

Ideally what I want to do is transfer the project into FCP7 so I can make an amends if necessary, and re-export a master. Using EDLManager I managed to export an EDL that can be read in FCP, and some file names reconnect fine. However, most of the files have come through with completely different names to what they were when in Avid, and they appear to have come through as the bin names as they were listed in Avid. Does anyone know how to tell the EDL to look for the actual file name rather than bin name?

I know that an EDL only works for one track so everything is only on the first track. The same situation applies for the audio - it isn't retaining the actual file name.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Simon

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: EDL from Avid issues (exporting bin names rather than file names)
on May 9, 2013 at 5:07:10 pm

[Simon Waldock] "From what little I know of Avid, the MXF files are how videos are read by the programme (correct me if I'm wrong!)"

Correct. Those are the video and audio files...just like FCP works with Quicktime, Avid works with MXF.

[Simon Waldock] "and so are necessary to relink."

Yup.

[Simon Waldock] "Ideally what I want to do is transfer the project into FCP7 so I can make an amends if necessary, and re-export a master."

Can't be done. You can get sequences, but not full projects. EDLs only work with sequences, and Avid doesn't do XML.

[Simon Waldock] "Does anyone know how to tell the EDL to look for the actual file name rather than bin name?"

Odd...I've never seen that.

[Simon Waldock] "Thanks for any help you can offer!"

How about downloading the 30 day trial of Avid and use that to access the projects? You might be able to export QTs of the sequences that you have...minus the holes left due to missing media. Or just buy a seat of Avid to deal with the old Avid projects.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]