FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apply Normalization Gain Problem in FCP6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Hagan
Apply Normalization Gain Problem in FCP6
on May 8, 2013 at 5:33:41 am

Using a Mac Pro, OS 10.6.8 to capture video with FCP6 with a Decklink Studio video card. Have been applying normalization gain for a couple years as part of our work flow. Recently I have begun to pick up fuzziness and a low rolling thump when I apply normalization gain. The capture plays back clean, and only picks up the noize when I apply normalization gain. When I undo the filter, it goes back to good audio.

I have checked for updates and updated the video card firmware, but the proglem still persists. Should I reinstall FCP6, or am I asking for a headache in doing so? Have you heard of such a problem?

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
Re: Apply Normalization Gain Problem in FCP6
on May 8, 2013 at 2:06:50 pm

Hi Kevin,

Normalisation increases the gain of the audio so you may well simply be hearing the raised noise floor that is subtle at the original gain. After normalizing, if you reduce the gain of the normalized file to match the level of the source, do they sound identical? They should. I have trouble seeing how this operation could cause artifacts as it is simply a gain bump to bring your audio's highest peak to the desired level. I'd first try normalizing using other software to isolate the issue to either the source audio or the actual FCP normalisation. If it isolates to FCP, cleaning prefs could heal it. Maybe.

I would question why this is part of your workflow, though. Since the gain change is based on peak level only, which can have little relation to the average level, especially if there is mic handling noise involved, it is not that useful. Adjusting the gain while you edit or mix to your desired output level, which you'll do anyway with normalized files, saves you an operation and ensures you work on the source material. If the material goes to audio mix, we always prefer to receive non-normalized audio. Just a though.

IHTH

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Hagan
Re: Apply Normalization Gain Problem in FCP6
on May 12, 2013 at 7:07:21 pm

JC, Thanks for the thought... I realized we had a dead channel after reading through your response. The artifacts were being raised to the level of the good channel.

Fixed the channel coming in and all is great now. Thanks for your response. Problem solved. Probably should have checked that first. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]