FORUMS: list search recent posts

HOT AUDIO LEVELS IN FINAL CUT - (but not in Quicktime Player)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelly McCoy
HOT AUDIO LEVELS IN FINAL CUT - (but not in Quicktime Player)
on May 7, 2013 at 5:19:13 pm

I recently took on an editing job for a movie that was shot on Red Epic. I converted the Red files into Pro Res 4444 files... Here's the issue:

When I import the fiels into FCP and click on the files in the browser, the audio levels are off the charts HOT and all I here is static. But when I open the files in Quicktime Pro, the audio levels are normal.

Also, when I drag the files into the timeline, the green render bar appears...

Would anyone happen to know what is going on?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: HOT AUDIO LEVELS IN FINAL CUT - (but not in Quicktime Player)
on May 7, 2013 at 7:26:19 pm

Glad to know about the VIDEO component of these files, but what details do you have on the AUDIO... which seems to be the part giving you fits?

And since we don't know much else, that green render line could be caused by not one single thing, but any one of a number of things. At first blush, it could be the 4444 codec. Since video straight out of a camera rarely has an alpha channel, there's no need for 4444; HQ preserves the image quality you seek, and the file size is cut almost in half.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: HOT AUDIO LEVELS IN FINAL CUT - (but not in Quicktime Player)
on May 7, 2013 at 10:20:33 pm

Is the ProRes audio 48khz, 16 or 24 bit. If it is anything else then it has been converted incorrectly from the RED files and needs to be redone. FCP cannot reliably handle other sample rates or bit depths and a green render bar indicates there is a mismatch between files and sequence.

Also make sure your sequence is 48 khz. A FCP sequence can be 32 bit float but the files within the sequence cannot be anything other than 16 or 24 bit. Quicktime player probably has no such restrictions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]