FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will dual video cards inside a Mac Pro increase render speed in Final Cut Pro 7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Velez
Will dual video cards inside a Mac Pro increase render speed in Final Cut Pro 7?
on May 6, 2013 at 9:49:20 pm

Hi. Have a Mac Pro Mid 2010 Model with an ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB video card and dual monitors. Would adding a second ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB video card to the empty video card slot in the Mac Pro tower help increase the render speed in final cut pro 7? Will 2 video cards in the Mac Pro even work with Final Cut Pro 7? Anyone's knowledge and help on this question would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Will dual video cards inside a Mac Pro increase render speed in Final Cut Pro 7?
on May 6, 2013 at 10:36:39 pm

Help? Nope. Hinder? Not FCP, but any FXplug plugins might not work right. Motion certainly will be effected badly. As will Color.

It's not a good solution.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tony Velez
Re: Will dual video cards inside a Mac Pro increase render speed in Final Cut Pro 7?
on May 7, 2013 at 1:50:55 pm

Thank you for your response. It is a big help. Would I be able to upgrade the current ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB Video Card that is currently in the Mac Pro to a newer card that would be an improvement in render speed? If so, is there a list of approved new video cards that are compatible with the Mid 2010 Mac Pro? One you would recommend?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 7, 2013 at 4:57:43 pm

No graphics card will increase the render speed of FCP. They will only help Motion and Color. The only thing that speeds up FCP is processors. But by now it's looooong in the tooth. it's a 32 bit app, discontinued...4 years old.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alex Vargas
on Nov 19, 2013 at 2:56:06 am

Hi Shane,

I cut with an ATI 5870 on a mac pro 5,1, 12 core, 48 GB RAM.
Do you know if a card with more memory allow for renders that otherwise bring up error messages blocking rendering?

FCP 7 doesn't always allow me to render so I have to remove some plugs, export, bring back the clip and apply the plugs I removed to it. Then it renders. Would a card with 3 or 4 GB memory allow for those renders to happen? If so, I need to know which cards would work.

Thanks

Alex Vargas
filmmaker/composer
Macpro 5,1 12 core 48GB RAM - Macbookpro 15" - FCP 7+/Logic 9

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 6, 2013 at 11:37:40 pm

[Tony Velez] "Would adding a second ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB video card to the empty video card slot in the Mac Pro tower help increase the render speed in final cut pro 7?"

Shane is as usual correct. FCP really is quite limited in asset efficiency, but the root cause is that Quicktime is not really multi-threadable, and FCP is Quicktime.

You read about really great rendering efficiency with other applications, but they are, for the most part, 64-bit, and built to take advantage of GPU off-loading, and CUDA processing, none of which Final Cut knows anything about.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]