FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Space Question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hoku Uchiyama
Color Space Question
on May 6, 2013 at 3:25:18 am

Hello,

I'm working on project that involves using media from a lot of different sources (ripped DVDs, web downlaods, etc...). It's for a museum exhibit. The sequence I'm working with is Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) 1920 x 1080 30p 48khz.

Before bringing any of the source media in I convert it, via compressor, to the sequence specs above. They all play fine in the sequence, ACCEPT when put any kind of overlay on it, like a png file with transparent space or some slug to mask part of the image.

Whenever these overlays are put above CERTAIN clips, the clips become brighter after the render. Some clips do not react this way - which is more puzzling.

I figure this is probably due to whatever color space the source video files were and that color space is carrying over into the ProRes video files I'm using in my project. But I do not know how to identify the color space of my ProRes video files or my source video files for that matter.

Can someone tell me how to do this? And if you have any suggestions for the overall problem they would be welcome.

Thanks.

Final Cut 7.0
Mac OS X 10.8.2
2.8 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Color Space Question
on May 6, 2013 at 12:38:17 pm

First of all, make sure that you have QT.7 installed.
Check as well hat the sequence is set to render in High Precision.
rafael

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 6, 2013 at 11:24:56 pm

[Hoku Uchiyama] "ACCEPT when put any kind of overlay on it, like a png file with transparent space"

May or may not be relevant, but is the .png set for the correct gamma?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Hoku Uchiyama
on May 7, 2013 at 5:49:36 pm

Thanks both.

Rafael Amador "First of all, make sure that you have QT.7 installed.
Check as well hat the sequence is set to render in High Precision."

Yes, QT 7 is installed.

The render (within "Sequence Settings", under the "Video Processing" tab) is set to "Render 10-bit material in high-precision YUV". "Render all YUV material in high precision YUV" gives the same results.

Joseph Owens"May or may not be relevant, but is the .png set for the correct gamma?"

In regards to Gamma can you explain how I'd check the gamma settings of the png and also the ProRes files to see that they match?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 7, 2013 at 7:55:03 pm

[Hoku Uchiyama] "can you explain how I'd check the gamma settings"

For graphics, right click on the clip and check the "Item Properties"... "Format"... "Gamma Level". ProRes doesn't have this option, because it should be confined to the appropriate recommended settings for its colorspace.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]