FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange P2 weirdness from rented cards and camera

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Brockett
Strange P2 weirdness from rented cards and camera
on May 4, 2013 at 12:26:44 am

Hi all:

Did a shoot yesterday, used my 170 and then asked producer to rent a second 170 for a different camera angle. We shot about two hours worth of footage and I dumped all of the shot cards to two hard drives for backup. Used a Panasonic single card USB reader and yes, of course I locked the record tab before inserting the card into the reader.

I am going over the footage today and one of the cards from the rental camera didn't seem to work right. I have been shooting P2 since it first came out and I have never ran into this issue.

1. The card shows 6.29GB of material on it. When you click on the contents folder, only two sub-folders show up, Audio and Video. No Clip, no Icon, Proxy or Voice folders show up? Within the Video folder are two .MXF clips, one is 4.25GB, the second is 1.87 GB. In the Audio folder are eight .MXF files, as you would expect, four for each video clips. So there is material on the card, it did record, but somehow the card structure is incomplete. P2CMS and FCP 7.03 Log and Transfer do not show anything, obviously because the file structure is incomplete.

2. Also, the LASTCLIP.TXT is there, but it is greyed out and is not locked like all of the other cards LASTCLIP.TXT icons are on the other card. Also, all of the other LASTCLIP.TXT show that they are a 4KB file, this LASTCLIP.TXT shows 0KB.

Has anyone seen or experienced anything like this? Is it fixable? I may load the material from the drive back to a card and try to "repair clips" using the camera? Any other options or advice? I am flummoxed because P2 always just works, I have never had to do forensic reconstruction to get a card to work. If it matters, I am on a Mac, OS 10.6.6 and all of the other cards from the shoot from both cameras worked fine, just this one didn't.

Advice?

Thanks,

Dan

A Producer Who Is Also A DP? Yep, that's Me.

http://www.danbrockett.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Strange P2 weirdness from rented cards and camera
on May 4, 2013 at 4:09:35 am

So you still don't have the card? Can you call to see if they erased it yet?

It could be that the copy process didn't copy everything. This has happened to me more than once. Which is why I insist on Shotput Pro for offloading tapeless media.

Could be that the card malfunctioned and didn't record everything. I have heard of this happening too. Or the files are damaged and that's why you Repair Clip. But the files are hidden, not copied over when you offload the card. This why I asked if you can see if they erased it yet.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on May 5, 2013 at 4:09:00 am

Hi Shane:

Thanks for your ideas. We had small (8GB and 16GB only) P2 cards for this shoot so I had to download the cards to two drives, re-format them and re-use them as we shot.

I suppose that I could have done an ineffective transfer, although I always just pop the protective tab, insert into the P2 card reader and drag the Content Folder and LASTCLIP.TXT over to the drive. Once it is copied, rinse and repeat.

For some reason, the LASTCLIP.TXT cannot be opened, transfered to the P2 card, when I try to copy it back to the P2 card, I get an error message saying that the file is in use by the Mac. So the camera wouldn't read the P2 card with only the Content folder.

I have figured out that using Raylight, I can convert the .MXF files in the Content folder to QuickTimes so I think we will be okay.

Thanks for the advice Shane.

A Producer Who Is Also A DP? Yep, that's Me.

http://www.danbrockett.com

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on May 7, 2013 at 12:19:30 am

Did you reformat the card before use? It sounds like it might not have been formatted correctly to begin with.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]