FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame editing in Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lajos Palásti
Frame editing in Final Cut Pro
on May 1, 2013 at 12:07:34 pm

Hi!

Could anyone help me out to solve the problem below?

I'm a beginner user, I'm not so familiar with video editing. I've already edited simple videos for presentation, etc., but basically I don't really know how to edit videos in a professional way.

Now I'm doing a new project. I have a short intro video, which I would like to adjust to my personal needs. There is a writing in the video, which needs to be changed, since the topic to be represented is not the same as the title and the content of the whole video. How can I modify the original title?

I suppose I need to edit every single frame included, right? I guess it is going to be a nerve-wracking job, since the angle and the position of the title is changing.

Coud you give me any suggestions, how to solve this problem the easiest way?

The best solution, I've found so far is really lame, there must be a professional way to reach a better result. I need to use this edited video in a Power Point presentation, so what I did is basically the following:

There is an image of a television, if I click on the button on it, the video will begin. Then I created a simple square object with the similar color as the background in the original video to cover the original title and I added the new title by creating a nice word art which is on the top layer. The result is not the best one though, for the square object only has a plain color, that's why it is to obvious, that it is not the part of the original video. Besides the timing in Power Point is not so reliable. Even though I set up delays and proper timings, after saving the settings, it is always going to change, no matter what.

Does anyone know any solutions?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards,

Lajos

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Frame editing in Final Cut Pro
on May 1, 2013 at 2:35:58 pm

[Lajos Palásti] "Coud you give me any suggestions, how to solve this problem the easiest way?"

Yes, hand this off to a professional editor, or shoot and edit a new opening.

On the serious side, it is hard to advise without seeing a sample of the footage. If you're really that inexperienced, any method I suggest may be too advanced for you, but I'll try.

Trick one: park the video on a good frame of this title shot, then go to menu>file>export>using quicktime conversion. Set the "format" controls there to export a still image and select the option "JPEG". Name this still and save it to your desktop.

Open the image in Photoshop, use the tools there to erase the old title and add a new one.

Re-save this jpeg file with a new name.

Go back into final cut and import this file to your bin using File>import. Drag the image from your bin into the timeline, in a new video track, above the original video track. You can grab the edge of this graphic on the video track with your mouse pointer, and stretch it to change the duration of it, so it covers the old material, or you can type in a time length in the little window, top left.

Just use that to cover the first few bad seconds of the video with your new title still, until you are in the area where the rest of the program is okay.

Add a dissolve to the end of the still image, by clicking on the edge of the still in the timeline and hitting command-T, and the transition will look a little better.

The other tricks are more intricate and involve keyframing the position of a new frame of video, I'm getting the vibe that this may be too much to try and teach you over text.

Good luck, report back your results.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 1, 2013 at 2:39:41 pm

If you don't have photoshop, you can use a free image editor like GIMP or Lemkesoft Graphic Converter, or maybe even Windows paint (shudders)

Return to posts index

Lajos Palásti
on May 1, 2013 at 4:54:04 pm

I have Photoshop, but I've also downloaded Gimp. I'm gonna experiment with it...

Return to posts index

Lajos Palásti
on May 1, 2013 at 4:52:33 pm

Dear Mark:

First of all, thank you very much for your help. I'm actually new to this forum, I wouldn't have thought, that I would get an answer so quickly. Even though I'm inexperienced, your suggestions sound really good, I think I'm gonna be able to make it work. However I've already encountered some obstacles.

Right at the beginning you say:

"then go to menu>file>export>using quicktime conversion."

I can't find this option. My final cut pro version is 10.0.8.

If I go to the file menu, there is only option connected to exporting: export to HTML.

There is an export option under Final Cut Pro menu, but that's unavailable.

Where can I do you think find the option you mentioned?

or

What shall I do in order to activate that export button under Final Cut Pro menu? My video is already imported, I've parked at the right frame...

Thanks in advance?

Ps.: Just for curiosity: Are you of Hungarian origin? Your surname seems to be Hungarian.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 1, 2013 at 8:37:48 pm

I see, your problem is that you're here in the final cut pro 7 forum, and final cut 10, also known as FCPX, is a very different system from 7. You will need to ask your specific questions there, but though they are all very horribly misguided, they are still very nice people in the FCPX forum and will help you quickly:-)

When you get to the FCPX Techniques forum, tell them you need to know how to export a still frame from your timeline, manipulate it and save it in photoshop, then re-import it to use as an overlay on your original timeline. Use that wording. Don't forget to thank them: a simple "thank-you" is the currency that makes this whole place work.

As far as Hungarian; no, though I AM a huge fan of Ernie Kovacs.

Go in Peace, and good luck.

Return to posts index

Lajos Palásti
on May 7, 2013 at 12:09:47 pm

Dear Mark:

Sorry for my late reply, I've been very busy this week. Thank you for your suggestions, actually I managed to solve the problem on ground of your first reply. I was searching a while in the new version, but at the end I found the right buttons. My presentation was relatively successful with a well edited video. I can send it to you, if you would like to check it out.

Thanks again!

Have a good day!

Ps.: As for Ernie Kovács, it's a shame, but his name didn't really ring a bell to me. On ground of the descriptions he must have been awesome. I'm gonna check out him on Youtube tonight. It's shame, that he got awarded only after his death.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 7, 2013 at 5:32:48 pm

Glad to be of help.

Regarding Ernie, Jeff Goldblum starred as him in a TV movie biography/drama, it gives a neat overview of why this guy was special.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]