FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ramping 50p footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter crawford
Ramping 50p footage
on May 1, 2013 at 11:40:55 am

Hi, hoping someone can help with this one.
Im shooting a music video shorlty which needs lots of slomo and sped up shots and lots of slo/fast ramps.

Ive got no problem doing this in 1080p but am wondering if 720 50p will help me or hinder me.

To be more specific, if i shoot it all at 50p, run it through cinema tools, pop in jn a 25p timeline(fcp6) it will all be slow.

I could find out from the director which parts he wants slowed down, shoot the video in two formats, cinema tool the 50p and couple with the 25p in a 25p timeline, but im not sure ramping will work properly like this?

The other option is to shoot it all 50p, flag one copy in cinema tools as 25, leave the other and mix the two

Or am i just overthinking this? Should i shoot the whole thing 50p edit in a 50p timeline and apply variable speeds in the timeline? This video is mainly intended for web and public screenings so Its not absolutely necessay to deliver in 25p.

Lastly, if i did export a 50p slomo timeline to 25p would the video retain the speed ramps and just play at 25fps?

Appreciate any help here

Peter

paxpincer

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Ramping 50p footage
on May 1, 2013 at 6:21:23 pm

If you want smooth slow motion, you need to edit in a 25fps project, and CONFORM the 50fps footage to 25fps. You can speed that up x2 to get normal speed for sync, and then just make the speed 100% for slow motion...or go even more if you want.

Don't edit 50fps in a 50fps timeline...that won't make smooth slow motion.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

peter crawford
Re: amping 50p footage
on May 1, 2013 at 9:37:50 pm

Thanks shane,
O.k so conform/flag as 25 with C.tools and pop in a a 25fps timeline which will automatically make everything slow. Then just speed up the bits i want at normal speed to 200%_

Will there be any visual quality loss with the normal speed stuff? And also when speeding up to say 400% which theoretically should be like speeding up a normal clip to 200%
Sounds like a difficult ways to edit being that you have to watch everything slowmo?

Thanks

Peter

paxpincer

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 1, 2013 at 9:42:32 pm

[peter crawford] "Will there be any visual quality loss with the normal speed stuff?"

Nope. Cinema Tools alters the flags on the source footage, changing the frame rate only. The quality is exactly the same.

[peter crawford] "And also when speeding up to say 400% which theoretically should be like speeding up a normal clip to 200%"

Exactly.

[peter crawford] "Sounds like a difficult ways to edit being that you have to watch everything slowmo?"

You don't. Just speed up the clip 200% in the viewer before you start working with it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

peter crawford
on May 1, 2013 at 10:12:07 pm

Ahh got you now, thanks heaps

Peter

paxpincer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>