FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nvidia 680 Mac card crashing FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Lewis
Nvidia 680 Mac card crashing FCP
on May 1, 2013 at 4:14:05 am

Just an FYI, I upgraded to the new Nvidia 680 card for Mac and FCP crashes on opening so be very careful. I did the upgrade from Lion to ML 10.8.3, and I'm on a 12 Core MacPro. Had to change a preference file in AE, and was sent a "beta" driver so that Cuda would work. Everything was great, as it felt much faster than the stock card. AE, C4D fine, PS and all the other stuff work great, everything except FCP. FCP at this time crashes on opening every time and is no good anymore from what we see. Spent an hour with Nvidia and Apple tried all the stuff, and from what we can tell it is the new driver "cudadriver-5.0.45-macos" that I installed that brought it down. I tested FCP with the new card, right before the driver install and it was fine. And according to Apple, one can't change the drivers in the OS, so no going back. Not all the functionality is in the driver that is installed with 10.8.3 is how I understand it.
This is a big issue, actually HUGE issue, as we still rely on FCP for a lot of projects that are underway now. So be very careful, if someone else has it working or any ideas let me know.
At this point will probably, sadly, switch back to the stock card, or continue to use PPro, which moving into is fine, but we need to update the Kona LHe to monitor now and have too many project on FCP. But in AE CS6, C4D, was great.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Nvidia 680 Mac card crashing FCP
on May 1, 2013 at 9:55:32 am

Hi Jon

Sorry this is not a solution but I have a colleague who has same issue. I emailed him to see if there was a solution yet but apparently its a fairly well known and common problem. He pointed me to this thread on Apples forum. Hope it gives you some idea of the scale of the issue and apparently Apple are working on it. But posts started in Feb so its been a while it also seems not only FCP is affected.

I hope its relevant to you - apologies if not.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4707372?start=0&tstart=0

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal Symphony 6.5 FCP7
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini Symphony 6.5 FCP7

Return to posts index

Jon Lewis
on May 1, 2013 at 2:02:30 pm

Neil thanks for pointing me there, what a mess. In skimming the 483 replies this may be different as they seemed to be with FCP X, I'm on FCP 7 and on a MacPro. The crash is on boot up, every time towards the end of the splash screen. So it doesn't even launch. Tried several ways to bring it up, external drives off, shift key down... So from the thread maybe they are looking at it.
Thanks for your reply,
Jon

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on May 1, 2013 at 10:06:01 pm

Hi Jon,
sorry it was perhaps not that helpful, I was sent the link and when I saw the number of posts decided that life was too short to read them all, so like you had a quick skim. At least its clear there are issues with that card and Apple seem to be looking at it as there are a couple of replies from Apple there.

Having looked more closely it does seem FCPX is the main candidate but they do mention other apps including Motion that are problematic.
I guess you have tried the old trashing prefs trick ? Doesn't sound like its going to help judging by the potential scale of the issue but might be worth a long shot ? Digital Rebellions pref manager is easiest way. Not holding my breath on that solution though.

good luck

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal Symphony 6.5 FCP7
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini Symphony 6.5 FCP7

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]