FORUMS: list search recent posts

3 Camera multiclip playback is choppy

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Giardino
3 Camera multiclip playback is choppy
on Apr 30, 2013 at 12:31:53 pm

Hey Guys,

I am editing on FCP 6.0.6. on my 27" iMac (10.8.3, 2.7GHz Intel Core i5, 16BG Ram)
I filmed a fashion runway event with a 7D and 2 Canon 60D. I synced everything up with plural eyes and made reference movies of each camera angle so I can make a multiclip. I used this video on how to make reference movies and make the multiclip: https://vimeo.com/17438752

Now here's my problem, I try to playback the multiclip in "open" sync to edit it yet It will play fine for a couple seconds then freeze up and get choppy, or the audio will keep playing but the footage will not. I figured my machine is fast enough to process it but maybe not, I don't know. I've checked my sequence setting to make sure everything is in place. Working in Prores 422. Any ideas to get this smooth so I can work on it?

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: 3 Camera multiclip playback is choppy
on Apr 30, 2013 at 2:45:56 pm

Hi Michael

The problem is less likely to be your machine but more likely to be the speed of your storage. What kind of hard drive(s) are you using and how are they connected ?

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal Symphony 6.5 FCP7
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini Symphony 6.5 FCP7

Return to posts index

Michael Giardino
on Apr 30, 2013 at 3:56:16 pm

Hi Niel,

I have a 2TB Western Digital drive connected via firewire 800.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 30, 2013 at 4:27:48 pm

That's not fast enough of a connection for three video streams of ProRes. You need at least Thunderbolt for this.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Giardino
on Apr 30, 2013 at 4:35:20 pm

Oh really? So I should just put them on my main hard drive on my imac then?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 30, 2013 at 4:42:51 pm

No, that main hard drive isn't fast enough either. It contains the OS and apps...and constantly references system.resources. WHen it does that, playback will drop frames or stop. Media drive needs to be a separate drive from the OS.

With an iMac you are limited...firewire 800 (not fast enough), USB 2 (not good for video), USB3 if you have a newer mac (might be fast enough...never tested it), or Thunderbolt (totally fast enough for 3-4 streams of ProRes), if you have it.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Giardino
on Apr 30, 2013 at 5:30:09 pm

So basically I'm stuck right now unless I go buy a new drive?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 30, 2013 at 5:37:12 pm

Either that or Media Manage the footage to ProRes Proxy and cut with that, then relink to the masters later.

Firewire 800 isn't fast enough for your current workflow.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Giardino
on Apr 30, 2013 at 5:39:40 pm

Ok I'll google some stuff and figure out how to do that. thanks. Hopefully I can just get though it without going to buy a new drive today.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on May 3, 2013 at 10:17:45 pm

If you do a lot of Multicam I recommend FCPX, the workflow is a lot faster especially with automatic sync. FCPX also renders Proxies so you can switch back between a proxy and high quality.

I cut a Multicam project last year, using 2 different DSLRs and a Sony XDCam on my LaCie 1TB fW800 drives, other than a few hickups worked very smoothly, not one crash, in proxy.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]