FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pro-res files getting huge when encoded to H264 in compressor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ann edwards
Pro-res files getting huge when encoded to H264 in compressor
on Apr 29, 2013 at 8:00:55 pm

Hi all

I am encoding 1080 apple pro res (422) in compressor using the H264 QT setting. The files are almost doubling in size and I don't understand. The only clue is that the original files have noise filters. (2 different kinds) The file with one kind of noise filter was a reasonable size once converted 17GB down to 10GB. but the others with another type of noise filter went from 19GB to 34GB.

The file needs to play and loop on a media player that will only recognize H264 or Mp4. They are too big to fit on my sd card!

Any thoughts as to why this is happening. My understanding is that 264 should always reduce pro-res

thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Pro-res files getting huge when encoded to H264 in compressor
on Apr 29, 2013 at 8:23:25 pm

If you make a custom H.264 preset in Compressor, you can adjust the bitrate to make a file size you deem reasonable.

The noise filters could be root of your woes: they often make files larger.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

ann edwards
on Apr 29, 2013 at 8:46:43 pm

Hi David, thanks for your reply.

What I don't understand is that these are pro-res files already exported with noise filters from FCP, yet blowing up when converted to H264 in compressor.

I looked and the original pro-res files had a data rate of 18.2 Mb and the transcoded files had gone up to 31 mb!

I am encoding again restricting the data rate to that of the original pro-res data rate.

Hopefully they look alright and be small enough.

thanks
d

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Apr 29, 2013 at 11:49:27 pm

Check the frame rate in your settings. Make sure it's not set to double your sequence frame rate or something.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Apr 30, 2013 at 12:36:15 am

Use a bit rate between 3000-6000.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Apr 30, 2013 at 11:50:43 am

You need to be sure to export a H264 in 75% rather than 100% quality. 100% quality for H.264 generates a much larger file, like an uncompressed HD. You can change this in the video settings.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 30, 2013 at 1:44:37 pm

[Nikolas Bäurle] "You need to be sure to export a H264 in 75% rather than 100% quality. 100% quality for H.264 generates a much larger file, like an uncompressed HD."
The slider is mostly decorative, and should be left always to the right side (100%). It will be overrode by the other settings.
What makes no sense is to leave the data-rate unlimited.
rafael

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Apr 30, 2013 at 3:24:10 pm

I haven't exported from compressor for a few years now, it true that the slider gets overridden but as far as I can remember that depends on the order you set things, maybe I'm wrong, but I do remember having exportet h.264 in 75%.

I use MPEG Streamclip to export h.264 (after rendering a reference in FCP7 or a Prores in FCPX) When the quality is set to 75% you get a usable size (4min = 400 Mb) and a very good quality. This is something I learned from one of the postproductions I work for and we are currently using this method at Promiflash.

But If files need to be smaller and still look good it's better to change the bitrate.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]