FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gor baghdas
Audio issues
on Apr 29, 2013 at 6:54:45 pm

Hi,

I've seen some posts concerning this issue, but not something that would match mine.
We have a feature film edited in FCP. When the edit was finished, the sound designer mixed the audio into 5.1, and gave me 6 audio channels. When playing them in final cut, it starts fine, then there's an audio delay through time. by the end of the film the delay is really big.
We've been suffering on it a lot, the sound designer was exporting many different versions, still same problem. Then I tried opening the video file and the audio files in adobe premiere, and they matched perfectly. Now, I can't migrate the whole project to premiere after many months of working on it in final cut, plus I'm not as much familiar with the software. Is there any solution to this in final cut? I wouldn't like to convert the audio files given to me by the sound designer in mpeg streamclip or anyhow change them, especially knowing that they seem to be ok, it's the final cut issue that i can't overcome.
I'd really appreciate some advice.

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
Re: Audio issues
on Apr 29, 2013 at 7:21:01 pm

This sounds like the classic old FCP audio bug. What framerate is your timeline? Is it the same frame rate as the currently-selected Easy Setup? First intuition is that they may not be. If that's the case, remove the faulty audio from your project, change to an Easy Setup using your working framerate for the project and reimport the audio, preferably from a fresh copy of the file. FCP assigns a framerate to audio and takes it from the Easy Setup. When you take it to a timeline with a different framerate, it tries to pullup/down the audio to match, taking out of sync. As stupid implementations go... The fact that PPro works fine with the material tends to point to an FCP particularity. This has been covered many times on here.

If that's not the issue, an audio sample rate mismatch could be the culprit but I'd have trouble believing someone well-versed in audio wouldn't have tried to solve that one in the various mix versions used to troubleshoot. You are working with 24-bit/48kHz AIFF or WAV files, correct? If not, do.

I'd bet a drink your problem lies in one of those two causes.

IHTH

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

gor baghdas
on Apr 30, 2013 at 5:34:48 am

thank you for the detailed info. I tried the first solution, and it didn't help, although I might have done it wrong, I'm not sure. However, it was just getting to annoying and I upgraded the project from FCP 6 (what i was working on) to FCP 7, and it all got fixed. I assume they have fixed the bug in the 7th.
Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 30, 2013 at 6:15:05 am

No the issue is in 7 as well. The key is to have the Easy setup frame rate match the sequence

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]