FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDMI (from directv dvr) to final cut... recommended capture card/device? hdmi to firewire

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andy levine
HDMI (from directv dvr) to final cut... recommended capture card/device? hdmi to firewire
on Apr 26, 2013 at 7:11:54 pm

i am trying to capture to final cut from my directv dvr.

i'm, guessing that i need a capture device. a friend said i should be able to find such a device for under $100.

i'm going into my imac, firewire port.

thanks

-andy

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: HDMI (from directv dvr) to final cut... recommended capture card/device? hdmi to firewire
on Apr 26, 2013 at 7:32:34 pm

Nope. The only options for converting capturing HDMI that connects to your computer via firewire are:

AJA IOHD. Discontinued, but when sold, cost $3500. Might find one used...but nowhere near $100.

MOTU V4HD. Also discontinued, but ran about $2000.

Those were the ONLY IO devices for FCP that captured HD and connected via Firewire.

If you have a Thunderbolt port, you have better options.

Decklink Ultrastudio Mini Recorder:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892453-REG/Blackmagic_Design_bdlkulsd...

$140. But again, you need Thunderbolt.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: HDMI (from directv dvr) to final cut... recommended capture card/device? hdmi to firewire
on Apr 26, 2013 at 8:40:53 pm

Likely wouldn't work anyway because of the copy protection built into the HDMI signal.

Return to posts index

andy levine
on Apr 26, 2013 at 9:01:15 pm

i have component out will that work?

Return to posts index

andy levine
on Apr 26, 2013 at 9:00:04 pm

wow thanks for that shane!

i just noticed that i have component out coming from the dvr does that change things at all?

my imac (MC812LL/A) has a 'thunderbolt port' but something tells me it is more like a mimi display port rather than a fully-functional thunderbolt port on this model. hopefully i'm wrong. might you know?

thanks again.

-andy

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 26, 2013 at 9:38:50 pm

Component out might bypass the copy protection Bret is talking about. But your port is a Mini-Display port...not Thunderbolt...so nothing will work in terms of capturing for FCP or any NLE.

But there are EYETV options for capturing as H.264. I use this for over the air broadcasts playing on my computer. Because I don't have cable.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

andy levine
on Apr 26, 2013 at 10:08:40 pm

hmmm...

these are already recorded programs on the directv dvr.

so since my imac has mini display, not thunderbolt the hdmi plan is no good. but is the component to firewire an option?

thanks again.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 26, 2013 at 10:13:00 pm

No, I was mistaken. Your computer does have thunderbolt.

And no, there are no Component to firewire options, other than the two discontinued items I mentioned.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

andy levine
on Apr 26, 2013 at 10:21:44 pm

ok so hdmi is workable to the thunderbolt but there is some kind of drm that could be a problem. i am currently able to record to my set top box dvd recorder from the hdmi so maybe the drm isn't an issue with these recordings.

Return to posts index

andy levine
on Apr 26, 2013 at 10:24:37 pm

why not usb then, this one is only $100:

Blackmagic Design Video Recorder USB Capture Device

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 26, 2013 at 10:25:39 pm

That device only records SD H.264s. Trust me, I have it. The HD one is $500...but still only captures as H.264

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

andy levine
on Apr 26, 2013 at 10:44:51 pm

so it is worth the additional $50 to get the Blackmagic Design ULTRASTUDIO MINI RECORDER.

thanks again for your help.

-andy

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 27, 2013 at 4:43:10 am

[Shane Ross] "AJA IOHD. Discontinued, but when sold, cost $3500. "
Shane, amazingly not discontinued at all, but on the first row of AJA web site.
Probably they still finding some incautious buyers not aware that the time for the ioHD has gone with FC.

For a matter of decency, they should stop selling the ioHD, or release the drivers so the device could be used on other NLE systems.
rafael

Return to posts index

Ht Davis
on Mar 26, 2015 at 9:04:10 am

It's called HDCP. It's an encryption\altering of the signal that gets undone. HDMI is a two way com, but typically allows devices to only show each other what they support. Non HDCP compliant hardware will usually be incompatible with HDCP sources, though you can bypass this hdcp with component. They are not, however, the same exact signal. HDCP encompasses Audio as well. And without a secondary audio output for full audio formats, you'll be stuck with composite stereo (linear PCM), instead of surround sound. HDMI carries the surround encoding in the signal, and can be passed into a receiver (all of which are hdcp compliant). As the version of this protection changes, the source devices are being built with multiple specifications for it. IT's not any one company that's to blame for this. It's the entire entertainment industry. They want you to pay every time you watch... ...in order to make up the losses from pirating. However, you can strip the two signals apart. Since most receivers have an OPTICAL connector, you can run Surround Sound over optical connections, and then use component to send out video.

While they are right about most HDMI capture equipment, pro equipment will allow you to strip the HDCP. Most of this type of equipment cannot be legally used for anything but connecting to a camera for output over HDMI to the strip-conversion, to a converter\ouput that allows for live view or live capture of camera video. IT is illegal to use otherwise. For HDMI viewing, get a set top receiver or other similar device with an HDMI input, and have it connect to what you want over a component. For audio, you should probably use an input hub with an optical connector, and software that allows for the surround sound input over the plug that equipment uses (firewire or usb).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]