FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Studio Academic version, whats the difference?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neal Boyle
Final Cut Studio Academic version, whats the difference?
on Apr 26, 2013 at 4:25:05 pm

Hi,

I've been happily chipping away on FCS2 for years, missed the upgrade and didn't worry too much. But now I need to export to AVC Intra 100, which FCP6 can't do. FCS3/FCP7 is starting to date so in the long term I will have to move on to FCPX or Adobe, but I don't want to change in the middle of a production so a quick fix (FC7 for the right price) would do the job.

I see people selling full, upgrade and Academic versions of FCS3 online, the academic 'can't be updated'. Since FCS3 is not supported by Apple any more that doesn't seem to be an issue? But I do want to add AVC Intra to Final Cut, can that de done with the academic version? Anything I should be aware of?

Neal

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Final Cut Studio Academic version, whats the difference?
on Apr 26, 2013 at 6:14:09 pm

[Neal Boyle] "Anything I should be aware of?"

You might want to check out:

Native AVC-Intra Editing Workflow
You can ingest Panasonic AVC-Intra media natively using the Log and Transfer window (without transcoding) and edit with real-time effects in the Timeline.

Before ingesting the AVC-Intra files, you must configure the Log and Transfer window preferences. For more information, see Stage 1: Choosing the P2 AVC-Intra Plug-in for Transfer.

After ingesting your footage, you can create your sequence settings by dragging an AVC-Intra clip into a new, empty sequence. Final Cut Pro automatically conforms the sequence compression setting to the Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) codec, which is the appropriate rendering format for AVC-Intra footage. After you ingest your AVC-Intra footage and convert it to QuickTime files, you cannot render your footage back to native AVC-Intra footage because the AVC-Intra codec does not support encoding.

As to the difference between FCP6 and 7... some might suggest that 6 has been dead longer.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Neal Boyle
on Apr 26, 2013 at 8:14:27 pm

Maybe I misunderstood the AVC Intra encoder plugin for Compressor (released in 2010), this sounds like a export encode option or a compression setting based on AVC Intra:

Panasonic released a free plug-in for Studio’s Compressor app, which lets you output a Final Cut Pro edit using Panasonic's top-tier AVC-Intra codec. With Panasonic’s free plug-in, you can use Compressor to encode a master file of your Final Cut edit using AVC-Intra as the codec, and then deliver your show as a master-quality QuickTime file.

I shoot on HDCAM tapes, the good old days eh. The workflow is online with ProRes and then, if I'm understaing the Panasonic plugin, export as Quicktime with AVC Intra100 compression?

So that is what I want to be able to do.

back to the question, can an academic version of FCS3 accept plugins? Academic versions seem to be cheaper than the 'full' versions and as you rightl;y said Final Cut (6/7) are dead, but not gone, so it's really not worth paying the prices that some people are asking on the net.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Apr 26, 2013 at 8:21:41 pm

Academic licenses are not legally allowed to be used in commercial installations (i.e. for-profit work). They are sold to schools/students at a heavy discount to use and learn on, as a non-profit institution.

As far as the software itself, it is identical to the "commercial" version. The EULA (End User License Agreement, the legally binding contract you're essentially signing by installing and running the software) is what is different.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Neal Boyle
on Apr 26, 2013 at 11:24:59 pm

Ok, academic is out. I can't justify the prices people are asking for 7, its one OS upgrade away from redundancy so maybe it's time for final cut X or Adobe.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 27, 2013 at 4:12:59 am

In this post, Jeremy mentions two ways of putting out AVC-I from FC:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1131653#1131695
rafael

Return to posts index

Brian Shulman
Re: Final Cut Studio Academic upgrade
on May 2, 2014 at 8:00:15 am

I used Final Cut Pro 6 last year and in an attempt to get the same one at home purchased Final Cut Pro Academic.
When opening a project from last year on my hard drive the message came up
File Format is too new for this version of the application.
For a current project I went to the Final Cut Pro 6 computer and created an mov file to continue working on one of the projects.
As a temporary work around it seemed like it served the purpose except it created a generation down file that causes playback errors.
Is there a way to upgrade the Final Cut Pro Academic version so that it will be able to open up and work on the Final Cut Pro 6 projects?

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on May 2, 2014 at 11:03:07 am

The academic version is identical to the commercial version. The only difference is the EULA you agree to saying you can't use the academic version in for-profit jobs.

You probably need to run the software updater and make sure they are both on the same version - 6.X.X. It's not enough to simply have version 6, you have to have the exact same .X.X in order for files to be compatible.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Brian Shulman
on May 2, 2014 at 6:29:36 pm

Ryan,

Amazing.

Thanks for your excellent reply.

I ran the software updates.

Took just a few minutes and then I was able to open the Final Cut Pro 6 Project.

Wonderful. Thanks. A great day.

Brian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]