Future-proofing FCP7 (4K editing)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edwin Street
Future-proofing FCP7 (4K editing)
on Apr 22, 2013 at 9:59:09 am

I found the topic below but no one was answering my question over here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1165095

Is there anyway to bring a topic back to the front page?

...Anyhow, I enjoy using FCP7 and can't see myself changing any time soon.

I'd love to shoot a 4K film soon but I find that everybody is saying you can't edit in 4K because... well I don't know exactly why. I can set a sequence settings to a custom size of 4096x2160 (4K) and use a compressor setting of prores422(HQ) or 4444 depending on whether I can afford the latest and greatest MacPro Two 3.06GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (I'm dreaming but is it possible)

I'm not a fan of reconforming media from a proxy if it's possible to edit in 4444 because I don't like adding the extra step.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Future-proofing FCP7 (4K editing)
on Apr 22, 2013 at 12:07:53 pm

FCP7 is end of life, when you buy a new mac, it will not run on it.
Your future in editing does not lie with FCP7.

Doesn't mean you can't edit with it for years to come, but there's a cliff.

Chris

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Apr 22, 2013 at 12:39:56 pm

Most of the boo-hoo'ing about FCPX was for good reason on launch. It was missing too many things. That is all just not the case now. They've added tons of stuff and it works amazingly! I've delivered a bunch of broadcast work with it and my clients have been very happy.

I have to say...when I do go back to 7, it's a love hate thing. It's my old friend. But man...it's clunky, slow, and I can't do much of what I can with titles, graphics, and overall gloss that I can with X. Plus, X is just faster for me.

It's your choice...but X is awesome so don't let all the detractors keep you from trying it. Even my peers who vehemently opposed X, but who've tried it recently are kind like, "wow...this is actually pretty awesome!" But you have to commit to learning how it really works. If you approach it like 7, Avid, or Premiere, you will be frustrated and probably won't like it. Ripple Training is what I recommend. But there're MANY tutorials out there for free. Just because it works differently than the other two, doesn't mean it's not good. Look at things like Smoke!

I am on a path to become NLE agnostic and now use and am learning Avid, Adobe, and Apple for the time being. But I'm glad I've stuck with X and learned it well. I use it more and more. And my clients have never asked wich NLE is use just sayin.

In closing, FCPX is the future for Apple in the editing world. It supports 4k natively, and the proxy workflow is dirt simple if yiu wanna go that way.

Posted from iPad, please excuse typos!

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Return to posts index

Stephen Best
on Apr 22, 2013 at 5:26:40 pm

I'm just finishing a project in FCP7, and will be moving to another platform, and company. Seems to me the choice is between Avid and Adobe, both are offered by companies committed to and dependent upon the creative community. Apple is not. Apple is more committed to and dependent upon, I suggest, consumer device and content sales, rather than content creation.

Regards
Stephen Best
http://stephenbest.ca

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Apr 22, 2013 at 7:02:05 pm

Fair enough. Like I said, it's about choice. And nowadays we have some great choices! I'm getting up to speed with all of them. FCP X is a great piece of kit and I'm happy with using it. I just want the OP to not let all of the "talk" dissuade him from trying it, along with the others

As far as the rest of your post, who knows where Avid and Adobe will be in the next few years. Avid is loosing a lot of money due to the fact hat yu can go software only and not have to buy all of thier expensive hardware and have to figure put how to get that revenue back up. They could have some trouble ahead. Adobe...the cloud thing...I'm not loving that. And for as much as everyone is cheering on Premiere, it's really not so good. I use it because I want to make sure I'm current bit it's far from my go to NLE. AE and PS? Yea, they tops!!!

I'd say that if Apple has many revenue streams, including iDevices and other consumer gear, that at least natures that they'll be around for a while. And I'd say that they have a vested intersted in content creation to be consumed on those devices!

I felt hurt and alone when hey EOL'd FCP 7 as well. But I had to put my personal feelings aside and try all of them. And FCP X is pretty sweet.

It's my 2 cents on that.

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Apr 22, 2013 at 7:03:28 pm

BTW, Posted from iPad, please excuse typos!

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Apr 25, 2013 at 6:24:34 pm

[Tony Brittan] "Adobe...the cloud thing...I'm not loving that. And for as much as everyone is cheering on Premiere, it's really not so good. I use it because I want to make sure I'm current bit it's far from my go to NLE. AE and PS? Yea, they tops!!! "

I'm biased, but I also come from a strong FCP background. I think that Premiere Pro CS6 is good enough that I don't miss FCP very much. With the new Premiere Pro coming soon, It's more than good enough, it's awesome. I hope that you check it out once it comes out. You may change your mind! ;-)

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Apr 23, 2013 at 1:09:16 am

Hi Edwin

Whilst you can indeed input 4K dimensions in the sequence settings I think you would end up in a whole world of trouble trying to edit a full film.
Usually you would edit in 2K and reconform to 4K in Color or Resolve. You can monitor things properly and the workflow is established.

Apart from anything else, (on any system you choose,) you are going to need some serious storage to do it without using some kind or proxy. Both in terms of capacity and speed.
Especially if you tried to edit in 4444. An hour of 4K 4444 media at 24P with a couple of audio tracks is around 570 Gigs an hour. Even at HQ it is still about 380 Gigs an hour. Getting that to playback smoothly in a single stream is going to take some impressive bandwidth. You would need some kind of very fast raid system. Some kind of large SAS raid or fibre would be needed. Something like a 32 TB SAS raid is going to set you back something like $7000usd (£4000)
Probably another $750 for the raid card.

Another thing that springs to mind. Have you ever tried editing simple stills that are larger that 4000 pixels in any dimension ? You can have just a few in the timeline and you get the famous "out of memory" error. Indeed that has happened to me with just a single image in a sequence.
I have never tried editing 4K video in FCP 7 but assume you would be prone to the same error.

Apart from the cost, I think trying to do a serious project on something that does not offer any 4K support is really a non starter.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal Symphony 6.5 FCP7
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini Symphony 6.5 FCP7

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Apr 23, 2013 at 10:49:07 am

FCP will only provide RT effects on specific sequence settings
your custom setting would have no RT effects at all,
so you'd have to render any effect, even a dissolve

and would your 4k be camera original?
it would probably not have a look on it, and you may find you'd want to colour correct.

making exports for screenings, or any form of moving media around will take a lot longer with the larger media files

for me, having to deal with those sorts of handicaps even minute of the day is a lot more inconvenient than a re-conform,
i'd much rather be able to edit quickly and easily, without excessive rendering, and with my rushes looking somewhat like they should.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]