FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 dissolve keyframes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david bliley
FCP7 dissolve keyframes
on Apr 16, 2013 at 7:10:18 pm

Just curious if anyone knows. Is there ANY way to tell FCP7 to adjust for keyframes when you add effects (specifically dissolves) in a timeline? Avid would do this automatically. You add a dissolve between two moving photos and it would know to adjust the keyframes to the beginning and end of the dissolves. FCP7 makes me manually adjust every dang keyframe and in a 36 minute piece that's predominately moving photos dissolving together, that's a pretty daunting task. Just having this little function would cut my edit time nearly in half!

I can not believe an edit system would NOT have this ability... so please, someone prove me right.

Thank you, most whole-heartedly, in advance.

david

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: FCP7 dissolve keyframes
on Apr 16, 2013 at 7:27:17 pm

You don't HAVE to keyframe dissolves. You can create a dissolve transition -- I have found that 10-frame dissolves are used all the time, then you can grab it and drag it into the FCP Browser. You can even rename them: 10frdiz, 18frdiz, what have you.

When you want to use it, just drag it into the timeline. If there are sufficient handles on the outgoing and incoming clips, you're done!

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

david bliley
on Apr 16, 2013 at 8:00:12 pm

Thanks for the reply, Dave. But you misunderstand.

I have pictures moving from one keyframe to another. After setting that up, I drop one of those dissolves that you are talking about on the transition. THAT'S when it doesn't adjust the keyframes of the original picture moving. So, in essence, picture A moves... stops.. dissolves to picture B ... then picture B starts moving. It's really odd and frankly quite silly.

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Apr 16, 2013 at 8:27:32 pm

I don't think that there is a way for it to automatically adjust the keyframes to the outside edges of a transition. I do miss that from the Avid days.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 16, 2013 at 8:28:39 pm

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I wouldn't have done it that way in the first place.

Since it does a far better job of animating stills, I would have used After Effects.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

david bliley
on Apr 16, 2013 at 8:37:21 pm

Heh... I agree, but that would have taken much more pre-planning than this project has gotten. It was basically 18 two minute videos cut together and then a bunch of pictures thrown at me... SOME of which are actually large enough for HD work!

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Apr 17, 2013 at 1:50:18 pm

No, you have to manually fix it.

When I first met my husband, we worked together as video production volunteers, with him "teaching" me FCP. The first task we did together, the one we bonded over, was to go through a very long slideshow of stills, moving keyframes beyond the duration of each image to get rid of that start-stop stuff.

This is our tenth year together so hey, maybe this tedious task will pay off for you too? :)

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 17, 2013 at 6:40:24 pm

Just wondering if a Copy / Paste-Attributes (stretch to adjust for clip length) would help, but all of your Ken Burns stuff is probably unique to each clip...

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Apr 18, 2013 at 2:01:12 pm

how are you moving the keyframes?
there can be less to move if you do it in the clip keyframes area in the timeline

that's Option T,
of the tiny green & blue lined button lower left of timeline

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]