FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing Set Up Reccomendations

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harrison Gruber
Editing Set Up Reccomendations
on Apr 16, 2013 at 7:15:29 am

Hi Everyone,

So I'm a documentary filmmaker and usually I work with editors but I want to get a good editing set up going of my own at home. I obviously don't have hundreds of thousands to spend but I want a good set up--Lots of processing power, good software, great monitors and speakers and so forth and I am open to spending a little bit of cash. I came to this forum because I know Final Cut Pro is a very popular software and I've used it in the past but I've heard not so great stuff about Final Cut Pro X, etc. Could I get some recommendations from people about what kinds of stuff i should look into? Or perhaps I should look into AVID? What kind of sound set up should I have? I edit in a room in my house so it's not sound proofed or anything but I wouldn't mind some high quality audio if I can afford it.

I'm open to any and all ideas!!

Return to posts index

Harrison Gruber
Re: Editing Set Up Reccomendations
on Apr 16, 2013 at 8:03:49 am

Also, should I get one of those Kona cards?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 16, 2013 at 10:01:13 am

For editing, normally, you just need a computer and some external storage fast enough to move the media in real time.
No need of any Kona unless you need to capture footage from tape or use an external pro monitor for color grading.
What kind of footage you gonna work with?
rafael

Return to posts index

Harrison Gruber
on Apr 16, 2013 at 9:59:58 pm

I will probably work with all kinds of different HD footage but it would be nice to not have to deal with crazy transcodes and render times. I heard KONA helps with that for H264 compression time?

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Apr 17, 2013 at 2:50:46 am

Don't sell FCPX short. I use all three...Avid, Adobe, and Apple (X and 7) and have really enjoyed using X! Most of the missing stuff has been restored, and the people you see dismissing it mostly haven't given it a fair shake. Especially since its recent updates. Plenty of pros I know have tried it and have admitted it's pretty awesome. Not an Avid replacement, for those who are in the Avid world, but something they've starteded using for Promos and Commercials more and more. As have I. Just my two cents.

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Apr 17, 2013 at 2:52:49 am

Sorry for the typos in that last post...dang iPads!

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 17, 2013 at 11:44:34 am

If you intend to work a lot with DSLR footage, you should have a look to FCPX or Premier Pro.

[Harrison Gruber] " I heard KONA helps with that for H264 compression time?"
That's wrong.
The Kona doesn't take part on any com/decompression or rendering process.
Some of the Matrox IO devices compress H264.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]