FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple Editors. One Documentary. How?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Greene
Multiple Editors. One Documentary. How?
on Apr 10, 2013 at 6:10:26 pm

I have been working on a long documentary for a few years. We now have the money to bring in editing help. I am trying to figure out the best way to work in FCP7 with multiple editors. Specifically how to manage projects and sequences.

If you had to cut a two hour doc with multiple assistant editors, how would you do it? How would you label projects/sequences? How would you keep track of what stage a section is at?

Chad Greene Mahoney Media Group Minneapolis, Minnesota 2x2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 12GB Ram, OS 10.6 FCP 7, Kona-LHi

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Multiple Editors. One Documentary. How?
on Apr 10, 2013 at 6:17:48 pm

Will they all be working on a single SAN? Multiple computers connected to a server network? Or will these all be independent stations?

Have a master project that contains all the footage, music, sfx. Then each editor has a separate project for their cuts...sequences. Label them by Act...or section...then date and editors initials. I also include version. So..for example:

Bigfoot_Act2_v1.1_SR_04.10.13

When you want to get people your cut, make a new project, save that cut in that project...send to them, or if on a SAN, have them open it.

As for file and project organization, all that depends on if you are on a SAN, or each editor has a copy of the media on separate hard drives.

[Chad Greene] "How would you keep track of what stage a section is at?"

Tell the post supervisor where you are at the end of every day. Or tell the lead editor, or the producer...the person overseeing the edit.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chad Greene
on Apr 10, 2013 at 6:56:51 pm

Shane, we are working off shared storage. All the footage is organized and keyworded in folders.

We have been toying with the idea of making separate projects for each section of the doc and using versions to track the changes (very simular to your suggestion). However, the transitions between sections are not clean. The music continues or picture continues which makes it hard to find a good break point.

Are there other ways to deal with this? How about having a master project that the head editor works out of, then having "assistant projects" that we throw sequences into when they need work? How would this work?

Chad Greene Mahoney Media Group Minneapolis, Minnesota 2x2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 12GB Ram, OS 10.6 FCP 7, Kona-LHi

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 10, 2013 at 7:03:58 pm

Rule #1... Work locally, backup globally. Meaning, work from projects you store and launch from your computers main hard drive, but back up at the end of the night onto the server. Name the projects with the date, so you have one copy of the project per day. Good way to track revisions too.

Again, have a master project that is all the footage, and NO sequences. Just the footage and other elements like music and SFX. Then dole out sequences as separate projects to whomever you want. When they are done, they back that project up on the server, you copy it to your drive, open it, and incorporate their sequence into the master.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]