FORUMS: list search recent posts

A functional HD machine?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Richardson
A functional HD machine?
on Apr 10, 2013 at 11:13:50 am

Hello Cow-ers,

I wonder if someone might take a look at this and give me their honest opinion(s);

In the coming days, I need to quote on a job editing a series of 12 x 1hr long documentary reports. I am to edit using the client's own Mac. Already installed on the Mac Pro is FCPv7 and the machine has 7GB of memory. The job is being shot in HD and I have yet to learn the exact camera to be used.

I will assume that the graphics card in the Mac is a basic one as they have 3 machines such as this and are more used used to cutting 2 minute news reports. I have informed them that an upgrade of at least one machine could be on the cards.

Sadly, I am unable to furnish you with the entire breakdown of the machine but wonder if someone might be so kind as to list the 'must have's' for a seamless HD edit (not forgetting back-ups etc, which are already noted).

Best regards,

Pete.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: A functional HD machine?
on Apr 10, 2013 at 1:35:18 pm

- MacPro
- At least 4GB of RAM. 8GB is better
- Graphics card doesn't matter, unless you use Motion or Color.
- SATA Drives to fill the other slots on the MacPro. 2TB or 3TB drives are best, as that means you'll have between 6TB and 9TB for media storage.
- External firewire drives for backup.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Peter Richardson
on Apr 10, 2013 at 1:48:39 pm

Shane,

Thank you for that. The Mac Pro, they have and the back-ups are in hand. I just need to get my head into the system profiler to see what needs to be upgraded.

SATA drives just plug in or do they need an adapter?

Pete.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 10, 2013 at 3:58:27 pm

SATA drives are bare drives. The adapter to get them into the computer is built in. The system drive is in sled 1 (inside the computer). Sleds 2-4 are empty. Screw a drive onto them, slide into the computer, reformat with Disk Utility...done!

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Peter Richardson
on Apr 10, 2013 at 4:02:14 pm

Thanks again Shane!

Return to posts index

Peter Richardson
on Apr 10, 2013 at 2:09:50 pm